Thread: Bofa AD Base 1 suitable for Epilog mini 24

Bofa AD Base 1 suitable for Epilog mini 24

I just ordered an Epilog Mini 24 50w and the salesman assured me that the Bofa AD Base 1 fume extractor was adequate for filtering acrylic back into the small room where the laser will live. I was reading that the Epilog Mini 24 requires 350-400 and the Bofa lists 223cfm.

Just ordered both and the dealer hasn't ordered the Bofa yet so I could upgrade if necessary. The Epilog is supposed to arrive on the 7th of July and the Bofa will arrive that same week. I would need to give him an answer on Monday.

I have spent all day reading the forum and searched dozens of key words, but, I can't find anyone who spoke about their experience with the Base 1. I see most people are venting outside which would be great but I'm in a residential area and I can already hear the door knocking...

I saw a lot of great DIY solutions also. I think with my access to a full Shopbot Alpha I could make a great rig, but for right now I wanted a professional solution for my small space.

Ideally I would love to hear from someone that owns the Base 1 for their feedback.

Thanks,
    Rob

I've been venting 2-4 lasers outside in a residential area for 14 years, only knock on the door I've had is when one of the outside blower motor's bearing started going south, and the high-pitched squeal was bothering a neighbor behind me at night--

BUT-- I don't do a lot of cutting, so that helps-- however, I DO raster a lot of leather, and that crap stinks!! But from 100' away, it's hardly noticeable. We've asked a few neighbors if they smell anything, they say no...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that I will only be rastering and cutting acrylic. I may cancel the order on the Bofa, but I just need to know if the cfm's will be sufficient. I don't mind paying for it if it works as advertised.

What about using a DIY filter and still exhaust outside? That would be the best of all worlds - less expensive, you control the CFM by your blower, and you eliminate enough of the smell that nobody would be able to smell it unless they have their nose in the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaneJr. View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that I will only be rastering and cutting acrylic. I may cancel the order on the Bofa, but I just need to know if the cfm's will be sufficient. I don't mind paying for it if it works as advertised.
    Acrylic is stinky even if you have a filter. Neighbors will notice if you vent outside unless they are far away. Gary's DIY solution is a good one IMHO
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 06-26-2016 at 2:01 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

To expound on Gary's post, and I've been going to bring this up for awhile now, and this seems like a good time! ...

Last year I bought this garden storage box...

DSC05130.jpg

And look what just happens to fit perfectly inside:

DSC05131.jpgDSC05132.jpgDSC05133.jpg

These blower's are nearly square so they'll fit any way that suits you! And there's plenty of room for TWO of them!

I've been going to try this ever since I got it, but I've been so busy that it's a little down on my
    priority list at the moment...

My idea was basically this, as I'd love to put the blower that's in my garage OUTSIDE...
    --First, pack the bottom, lid and sides with insulation to dampen vibration and hopefully noise,
    --add some holes along the bottom of the box in the blower area, to provide air to cool the motor-
    --Put in a makeshift divider, bore a hole in it for the blower outlet, seal the divider somewhat...
    --get a couple of good furnace filters that fit and stand them up, against the blower outlet...
    --fill the rest of the box with charcoal briquettes (you don't need activated charcoal, folks)...
    --drill a bunch of 1/2" holes on the far end, and what comes out should be reasonably
    filtered, and quiet exhaust. This would be for OUTDOOR use, the whole thing can
    just sit outside under my garage window-- IF it's quiet enough, which I'm really hoping
    (I'm getting tired of the burnt plastic and dead cow smells in the garage shop!)
    If not, instead of a bunch of small exhaust holes, I can bore a 6" hole and run the
    vent pipe out the window like I'm doing now. At the least, it should work well for
    keeping the smell down for the neighbors!

This box I got from HD, it's the cheapest one I could find, about $50.
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-26-2016 at 2:14 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've been venting mine outside for nearly 20 years without a single comment from neighbors. I would bet that they don't even know what I'm doing. I do a fair amount of acrylic, wood, and leather. I do some horn as well which is the stinkiest stuff I've run accross so far.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7