Thread: Bench Top Planers

Question Bench Top Planers

My brother is starting the woodworking affliction and is asking about small planers. I have a DW735 that he really likes but a new one it is not in his budget. What do you guys recommend he look for on CL and maybe FleaBay? Seems to me there was a Makita that was well regarded.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions.

The Makita 2012 is a great lunch box planer. The newer model is in the $500.00 range but for a few dollars more you can buy the 735.

I have have a 15 yr old DW713 and a 2 yr old Makita 2012nb. I'd recommend either the newer DW714 or the Makita with no hesitations.

4. I would not recommend the 'lean and mean' grizzly planer if he isn't into tinkering with things. The snipe is not great even when the tables are adjusted, and if the depth of cut is even just a little too deep it really gouges into the end of the board. I have been reasonably impressed with the surface quality on most woods. It only has two knives so the tear out is really bad on anything figured.

I have a Ridgid r4331. I bought it reconditioned with warranty for about $350. I am a hobbiest and have run maybe 500-700 BF through it. It has worked well for me.

Sell him your dewalt and buy yourself a newer larger planer. Problem solved!

I have owned several benchtop planers but would not recommend any of them if you have any plans of doing serious work. I would watch Craigslist for a used floor mount planer. The cost is about the same as a lunchbox, but the performance it light-years better and will last many life-times. If you must have a benchtop any of the larger-sized models from the major brands all perform much the same. I would avoid the smaller-size models or any of the low end on the price scale.

Robert

I had a couple of Delta planers (22-740 and 22-760, if my memory serves me correctly) and got rid of both for a Ridgid TP1300, which I still have. I have run thousands of board feet through that planer, and probably used up 6 sets of knives. I get one extra life out of each set of knives with a very careful hand-sharpening with a diamond hone. Unfortunately the TP1300 is not available but there are similar machines on the same frame, many now have spiral cutterheads.

The Makita and DeWalt machines are always a good investment.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Here's a Steel City 13" bench top planer for $329 on ebay (not sure we're allowed to post links?). I think it has helical cutter head too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-22-555...32034160&rt=nc

There's an interesting video on bench top planers by Matthias Wandel on youtube. Search on google for Matthias Wandel woodworker> videos> planers. Sorry don't know how to post a link on this computer. His shop testing seems to indicate a cheap low priced planer works well compared to a DW735. When delta came out with their first bench top planer 22-540 I bought one it's still the only planer I have. The snipe can be dealt with using a hand plane, cutting it off or, using it on a concealed surfaces. The snipe really is not much, about 1/64? I am a hobby woodworker.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    Sell him your dewalt and buy yourself a newer larger planer. Problem solved!
    Now that's some good thinking.