Thread: New tool, and looking for parts

New tool, and looking for parts

Hey folks! I found a Fulton combination plane in good shape at a price I couldn't resist. It appears to be functionally identical to a Sargent-built Craftsman I already had, except that it's got the socket for the slitting cutter, which the Craftsman doesn't. And now I have two full sets of cutters, 1-25!

However, I'm missing one of the screws that hold the nickers in place. Given the size of them, I'm honestly not sure how to figure out what the threading is. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to look for? I'm figuring I'll have to buy a longer screw and cut/grind it short, but I don't really like the idea of just trying random screws... it sounds like a good way to mess up the threads.

Two set of cutters for the Sargent/Fulton combination planes. I may need to buy some Evaporust. by a_mckenzie_4, on Flickr

Fulton combination plane. Appears functionally identical to a Sargent 1080. by a_mckenzie_4, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    This is where a good thread gauge comes in handy.

Do you know anyone who does machinist, mechanical or automotive work?

Another way is to use known threaded fasteners and compare them to the screws you wish to match. It isn't necessary the fasteners are the same size since some sizes have overlap in the thread count, i.e. 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32 will have the same thread count on different size shafts.

I used this method as a 'poor man's' thread gauge before acquiring a decent one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just bought a nicker an a bolt for my Stanley #45.....from nhplaneparts.com. Eric also carries Sargent parts, so you might either check out his store, or email him a question.

Sargent used a circular nicker on theirs, if I remember......also, IF you have one of their #78 clones by sargent, you will find the same bolt, and nicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is where a good thread gauge comes in handy.

Do you know anyone who does machinist, mechanical or automotive work?

Another way is to use known threaded fasteners and compare them to the screws you wish to match. It isn't necessary the fasteners are the same size since some sizes have overlap in the thread count, i.e. 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32 will have the same thread count on different size shafts.

I used this method as a 'poor man's' thread gauge before acquiring a decent one.

jtk
    Yeah, I've never really needed a thread gauge before... there's really not much else that will substitute on this, though!

I'll see what I have... it may be time to restock my small screw box.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I just bought a nicker an a bolt for my Stanley #45.....from nhplaneparts.com. Eric also carries Sargent parts, so you might either check out his store, or email him a question.

Sargent used a circular nicker on theirs, if I remember......also, IF you have one of their #78 clones by sargent, you will find the same bolt, and nicker.
    Thanks! The Fulton has a cloverleaf, and you're right... after looking again at the Sargent, it does have the circular nicker. So there are more differences than I'd originally spotted. The cutters are interchangeable, though, so who knows. Presumably one of them 'borrowed' the cutter setup from the other.

I keep getting a message saying nhplaneparts.com isn't a valid address... is there any other way to get in touch with them? Are they also New Hampshire Plane Parts on eBay?

If so, it looks like they have a screw that might work.. I'll have to check whether they're actually interchangeable or not.

Yep, they be New Hampshire Plane Parts. Since his "store" is on the "bay".

You could also "Contact Seller" and ask Eric about the nicker.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Yep, they be New Hampshire Plane Parts. Since his "store" is on the "bay".

You could also "Contact Seller" and ask Eric about the nicker.....
    Excellent. Thanks, and I'll hopefully check this evening to see if the screw is right.

Look at this on ebaydotcom/itm/182185531450
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-27-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: removed ebay link