Thread: Gagari Saw?

Gagari Saw?

While perusing the internet soaking up information I came across this video. Seems like a very interesting saw he's using to cut a very straight line in the wood. Curious if anyone knew much about it?

Seems like by lowering the angle of the handle the tools allows the rip cut to be done with less "pressing" motion and more effective movements.

Blog Entries
    I have been on the hunt for a big one of those for a bit. I'd like it for resawing because it looks a lot more manageable than a whale back saw.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Crazy vise, to be using a pair of those miniature Japanese bar clamps! I have some of those made of brass. But they are awfully small to be used as a vise!

Good thing he came to the end of the cut. It was tapering thinner and thinner.

I have several. One is around 150 years old, and another is one I had made a few years back by Takijiro. I had it made on a bet of sorts with David Weaver and Chris Vandiver. I sent it to them and we compared the rip speed and accuracy with a Disston No.8. The same test was performed here in Japan by Takijiro and a miyadaiku.

The conclusion I reached is that those used to using large Western rip saws did best with the Disston, and those used to using gagari did best with gagari.

They are very useful saws, moreso in the field than the shop.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Stan, I bought one anahiki that was old stock (1960's~). Seemed like it was filed with green wood in mind.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm not too impressed buy this demo. It doesn't seem that the saw is very sharp. The design does look interesting as I think this gives a stronger hand position for heavy work than the typical Japanese pullsaw.

The handle orientation tends to rotate the blade into the workpiece. It also works for a two hand grip. And since the blade is shorter and cuts on the pull, it works very well for ripping tenons on large timbers placed low to the ground. Unlike a saw with a long handle, it can be pulled directly back to the sternum. Very handy.

Not intended for fine work, though.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    The handle orientation tends to rotate the blade into the workpiece. It also works for a two hand grip. And since the blade is shorter and cuts on the pull, it works very well for ripping tenons on large timbers placed low to the ground. Unlike a saw with a long handle, it can be pulled directly back to the sternum. Very handy.

Stan
    Stan, thanks for the info, judging from the looks it is not something I'd want to use for fine work. A tad large

9. the hang angle of that thing is not too far off from a western saw. funny, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Crazy vise, to be using a pair of those miniature Japanese bar clamps! I have some of those made of brass. But they are awfully small to be used as a vise!

Good thing he came to the end of the cut. It was tapering thinner and thinner.
    I couldn't get passed that vise! What's the point of those tiny clamps? Not only did he have to re tighten it often but by the middle of the cut he had to hold the work!