Thread: Palm Nailer

Palm Nailer

Need one for dealing with all the metal fasteners required today in framing.

Don't need the best but hate the aggravation of working with sub standard tools. I doubt I'll use it much after this project.

Interested in what others have used.

Dave, I bought a Ridgid at the local HD. It has served me well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We have a few senco's, a bostich. Both operate about the same. Oil it before you store it. Don't buy a cheap 40 dollar big box special.

You our might look into renting a positive placement gun if it's only one project. We use them instead of palm nailers for most hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

+1. Have used mine on numerous projects, including 1000 sq ft deck for the in laws.

check out the small versions. I know Grip Rite, and Bostich make them, and I like them a lot better. They have a much higher hammer rate and seem more controllable and aren't nearly as heavy. The company I work for use many many of them, and Bostich is one of the best.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Interesting. Rigid is selling a reconditioned nailer for $53 and it was the first one that caught my eye.

I had good luck with a very inexpensive reconditioned Bostitch 18g brad nailer years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    We have a few senco's, a bostich. Both operate about the same. Oil it before you store it. Don't buy a cheap 40 dollar big box special.

You our might look into renting a positive placement gun if it's only one project. We use them instead of palm nailers for most hardware.
    OY. This is where it gets hard for me. As I said, this project is likely my only need, but at the same time 5 years from now when I think I have another use for it, I'm going to want it to work.

But what is a positive placement gun? Never heard of it.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 06-26-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Food for thought - if you've already got any Milwaukee M12, they make a palm nailer for about $90. Though not as cheap as the Ridgid pneumatic, does a great job and you can pull it out in a pinch without the compressor. It's slightly larger than the pneumatic palm nailers but not bad. If I have the compressor out for a large project, I've used the Ridgid. But the Milwaukee has been really convenient a handful of times I've needed to pound a few nails in tight spots without dragging out the compressor hose.

There will be compressors galore for this project. Starting to sound like the Ridgid might be the way to go.

I bought a cheap Harbor Freight palm nailer for a single use in a situation where my regular framing nailer wouldn't fit. I finished the job so easily that I have used the same nailer many times since then. I can't say whether it is sub standard because I have nothing to compare it to but it works well for me on the rare occasions when I need that kind of nailer. It is covered with a flimsy piece of leather but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    ..But what is a positive placement gun? Never heard of it.
    It is a nail gun that registers to the holes in metal framing connectors. Much faster than a palm nailer.

Don't overthink this. Almost any palm nailer will work for periodical use. The palm nailer in the link below, in my opinion, is one of the best out there, and is very inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-PN50...ch+palm+nailer
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

I'll be the thread derailer here and mention that for the past few projects I've done with metal framing connectors, I've used the Simpson Strong-DriveŽ SD Connector screws. Much easier than dealing with nails. Yes, they are expensive.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I don't even know the brand of mine. It was used when I bought it thirty years ago. I've even used it underwater working on docks 25 years ago, and it's still pounding nails when I have a spot too tight to swing a hammer, or pull a trigger.