Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions decisions. 2 utility knives

Decisions decisions. 2 utility knives

Both have good points. I got the Milwaukee 1st and have been using it for the week. I like it. It flips open effortlessly. It's a one handed utility knife. Grab it off your belt and you can open or close it with a one hand flip. The clip is soft but holds nice, easy to put on or take off.

Holds one extra blade according to the manual, I can fit two. When it's in the open position it is pretty stable, but has a slight wiggle if you're looking for it. The blade itself is tight but still moves a bit. The blade lock seems to hold the blade nice and inserting or removing a new blade is easy.

It locks in the fully open and fully closed position.

I just got the Irwin today. Came in the mail on a Sunday . I really haven't used the knife at all, just playing. First thing I noticed is the blade swing mechanism is to tight. You can't flip it, makes it hard to open. I squirted it with WD40 and it loosened up and now it's able to flip open with a flick of the wrist. Not nearly as easy as the Milwaukee. Like I said, I haven't worn it so I can't really comment on the clip, seems tight so it'll probably need to be stretched out so it will go on easy. When the knife is in the open position it is very stable, almost no movement. The blade itself has about the same movement as the Milwaukee. Holds two extra blades.

It locks in the fully open but doesn't lock in the fully closed position.

It has a special feature that only allows you to remove the blade when it's open at 45 degrees. So no matter how much force you're using on the knife the blade won't get pulled out.

I can say I've had this problem with all the flip utility knives I've owned. Knife coming out, especially when cutting up a lot of cardboard.

The Irwin also sports a screwdriver. It's a hex holder so you can put any 1" screwdriver tip in it you want. It came with a #2 Philips and a #2 Robertson.

Got the Milwaukee at my local HD for $14.97
    Got the Irwin on Amazon for $17.99 and $5.29 shipping

Leo, do you find these "fancier" utility knives worth it over the typical basic versions? I need to do some replacement of older ones myself and will appreciate your input.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like the Alltrade fast blade change knives. Blade is brought out by squeezing handle, and retracted by spring . They were in all the stores around here ,but are gone now. Think they were just too much like a switchblade. Still available on line. Holds 5 blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Leo, do you find these "fancier" utility knives worth it over the typical basic versions? I need to do some replacement of older ones myself and will appreciate your input.
    I do like these much more then the standard retractable utility knife. This week I'll be sporting the Irwin to see how it fares against the Milwaukee. The Irwin is about the same size as my other knife I replaced, the Milwaukee is about an inch longer.

I wear these knives day in and out. I always have it on my pocket, it's a fixture for me and I feel naked without one. It's not for my tool pouch. It took a long time for me to swap out from the original one I got from Tractor Supply because all the flip knives only held the blade that was active, no extras. Now a few companies have realized that people like me have replaced the standard utility knife completely with the wearable flip knives.

Don't leave home without it.

Here's my favorite, out of many I've tried over the years. Folders take too long. http://www.toolbarn.com/lenox-20353-...A_pmt_b_pdv_c_

My experince is that it's less about the knife and more about the blade. Once you try carbide box cutter blades anything else is garbage. My knife of choice is the ubiquitous $3 Metal box cutter version, simple, retractable blade in multiple dentents but with carbide blades. I have a bunch and keep them wherever needed regularly. I've used the folding style and never liked them; they're slower to use and the blade is always at full presentation when that may not be the best choice. Ever open a box with a blade at full length and slice through something important?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here's my favorite, out of many I've tried over the years. Folders take too long. http://www.toolbarn.com/lenox-20353-...A_pmt_b_pdv_c_
    The Milwaukee is just as quick if not quicker to open. It's with a push of a button and flick of the wrist.

That one is just the slide of a button. I don't want to flick my wrist every time I pull one out. It has a very comfortable handle too. It fits fine in the pocket for it on my tool belt, has the most comfortable handle, and easiest to change the blade mechanism that I've found. It's good there are so many designs to suit different people. The button on the side in the picture is to pop open the handle to access the extra blades, which are at an easy to get to angle since the handle is so wide.

Try one in your hand the next time you're in Lowes. You can't really operate it the way it's hanging on a peg in the store, but you can get a feel for it in your hand. To pull a used blade out, you push the blade advance button forward, and to the right, and the blade will pull right out. It doesn't come out easily unless you want it to. The button on the side of the handle pops open the whole side and shows easy access to spare blades, but doesn't seem to get accidentally activated.

I've tried probably all the others, and most have jambing or blade locking problems after short use. So far, none of these have malfunctioned the first time, and remain easy to operate.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-27-2016 at 3:53 PM.

I've kinda wondered about the "cooler" utility knives. I don't use one much, and I still use the regular free Stanley one that comes with a tape measure when I do.

At work I do carry a Leatherman cutting nasty stuff (plus they're just handy), and a Benchmade Infidel. The Infidel does the finer cutting like cutting tape and opening bags/boxes as I'm not going to beat on an expensive knife. It opens and closes with a slide which is stupid handy being to open and close when putting knobs and pulls on and you have to open a zillion little plastic bags, with another little bag inside.

Stanley quick change style is what I prefer. I have a Kobalt "fancied up" version of it with built in belt loop clip. I really like it.

Extra blades in a retractable tray in handle and push button change of blade. Takes an already fast change and makes it even faster.

Robby

I bought the Milwaukee about a year ago, based on a review here. I like it and use it a lot. As someone said above: in all utility knives, a sharp blade makes all the difference.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-27-2016 at 9:07 PM.

Those blades can be easily sharpened with ceramic, diamonds, not sure about oilstones. I doubt that carbide blade is any sharper then any decent steel.

Generally carbide won't take an edge like HSS steel. But it will last a lot longer. The HSS steel will be spent and need sharpening and the carbide will just keep on going strong.

When the Milwaukee is closed there looks a slot, midway on the handle, where the blade is exposed. What is that? Anybody? Not saying it's unsafe just need to know.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    When the Milwaukee is closed there looks a slot, midway on the handle, where the blade is exposed. What is that? Anybody? Not saying it's unsafe just need to know.

It's for cutting string/rope/wire.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-White-T...+utility+knife

That's the utility knife I carry when I'm working. Locks open, and you can't accidentally release the blade when it's fully open--you have to move it to the 135º open position to use the release button for the quick-change blade.

As for blades, I've never found better than the Irwin bi-metal. They last much longer than the cheapo 100 pack blades.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore