Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

27 June 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I don't know about you, but it's been hot and humid here. We could use some rain...and just think...not too long ago we were complaining about all the rain we were getting. Just never happy are we.
    Been help the Son-in-law get some house repairs done and the LOML and I went to a flea market. I found an old Stover saw vice that was in really good shape, still worked really well and had a price that I simply couldn't resist....so I am now an owner of a Stover saw vice.
    Church on Sunday and still working out at the gym 3 times a week and working in the yard and around the house when I get time. Trying to help my daughter and son-in-law get their house fixed up before our 1st grandbaby is born.
    Back to the daily grind today after I go to physical therapy for my left shoulder.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I got a "new to me" table saw. Its a made in the USA Rigid 3612 with Herc-U-Lift and cast iron wings that had barely been used. Seller said it still had original blade on it, but it actually had a Freud 80 tooth Avanti blade. It now has a 50 tooth Freud Diablo for everyday use. It had some rust on the table and something, maybe polyurethane, splashed on parts of the fence and top.

We had to remove the motor to get it into my basement shop and also had an adventure getting it down the steep steps. Having the saw on wheels made it much much easier.

I used mineral spirits and a cloth to clean off the aluminum fence. I used a chisel to remove dried polyurethane splatters from the top, then mineral spirits and a scotch brite pad to clean off any residual gunk. After that, a light sanding with random orbit sander, 180 paper, and WD40. Top looks pretty good and is nice and smooth.

This saw replaces my Hitachi CR10 RA3 that I have used for 10 years. I think I will hold on to the HItachi for "job site" work as it is a very capable saw and is easily portable. I may also dedicate it to having a dado stack on it most of the time, but haven't decided on that yet.

Robby

I hear you on the rain, Dennis...we had a lot of rain earlier in the spring, but things are suddenly staying dry. Of course, there are folks in places like West Virginia who needless to say would prefer to get less rain. (Horrible situation there)

Weekend was nice...the usual mowing and some attention to landscaping; a small plumbing project (no good plumbing project goes unpunished, however...) and a little time in the shop working on some odds and ends, both woodworking and non-woodworking related.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As Jim said, I feel for the people in West Virginia. Our floods have gone but their ordeal continues.

After 2 weeks 'off' renovating my son's bathroom - they are selling their house - I am back in South Australia where the main kitchen bench top is progressing. This top is 4.6 metres long and 1.1 metres wide with drops to the floor at each end. The timber is Messmate. I am building it in situ as it is too massive to move otherwise. I am using water borne epoxy glue for the first time. At least it cures. Did a separate small glue up of a packing piece and the TB lll froze instead of curing. That's a first for me. The workshop gets no winter sun but it's not usually that cold. Cheers

I got a new 18V hedge trimmer delivered Thursday and I was off Friday so that got used. It works well like my other Ryobi cordless tools (all but a hedge and lawn trimmers make sawdust). I also finished a Ron Paulk inspired work surface for the 12 foot bench that houses my 12 inch CMS and RAS. It now has 3 flip stops. they are the type in Paulk's all in one so the benchtop is flat. I also got the little sliding table of my Ryobi 3100 table saw working again. I lost the locking knob somehow and had to fab something. I didn't work too hard, it is hot here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    27 June 2016

Back to the daily grind today after I go to physical therapy for my left shoulder.
    What's wrong with that shoulder? I can relate to a bad shoulder, I have 2 shoulders and have had 4 shoulder replacements, and need another one.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Finished all of the M&Ts on my bunk bed project except for the last four vertical slats that fit into the front corners of each bed end (head and foot boards). Thought I'd have gotten a little further this past weekend but we had to prep for a family get-together, to celebrate my step son's graduation from college and wish him well in his upcoming grad program abroad (at McGill U. in Montreal).

I'm just at the initial dry-fit stage with the two sets of ends. Once I get the corner slats completed and fit into place, I'll disassemble and label each piece so I can chamfer or round-over all of the exposed edges, and then do a little scraping, sanding, and general cleanup before moving on to the glue-up and then the rails.

ForumRunner_20160628_084601.jpg ForumRunner_20160628_084610.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 06-28-2016 at 2:20 PM.

A little late but I delivered a miniature chest of drawers, to be used as a jewelry box, this past week-end. It is 8.25" wide, 9" high and 4.75" deep. Walnut and elm burl veneers on a dovetailed poplar carcass. the drawers are dovetailed, cock beaded and paper lined. finished with oil/wax. Knobs are turned from ebony.
    IMG_9850_2.jpg IMG_9845.jpg IMG_3642_3.jpg
    Last edited by joe maday; 06-29-2016 at 9:09 PM. Reason: upload additional photo

Joe, that is a beautiful marvel of miniaturization. Or a fine full size chest photographed with one of those giant novelty pennies !! Either way it is a most charming and beautiful piece!

Joe - Those little dovetails on the drawers are great on your jewelry box! Looks like they were made by Keebler Elf in his spare time when he is not making cookies!

Mike - That is a beautiful use of wood grain. What is the wood? The top rail in your picture almost looks like white oak with the big wide grain, but the bottom rail looks more like maple with swirly grain.

Robby

Joe, absolutely beautiful. What a great contrast between the burl and straight grain of the elm.

Robby, that's ash all over those bed ends. The differing tones you're seeing are heartwood (lighter) vs sapwood (darker). I would love for it to have been nice clear heartwood throughout, but that's what was on the pallet at the lumberyard. I'll be staining it all a medium dark tone anyway, so it'll all blend in the end.