Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightning (Lichtenburg) Pyrography

Interesting topic -- I found a good video that describes the process and the variability of results between a microwave transformer and a neon transformer. He also stresses the safety issues.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5D7D&FORM=VIRE

There are a lot of really bad videos out there -- One guy was handling 2 hot probes with bare hands! Good recipe for electrocution.

Cliff

I have a problem with mine and I think it is the connections (I used spring clamps). Sometimes it works well and sometimes not so much. Thanks for the info, I will try the probe approach instead. Where did you find the rubber mat for a base?
    If a person is interested, a neon transformer also works and most will have a on/off switch and pre wired with the leads and plug.
    Mine is a 12,000V and was <$50 new on the bay. Lower voltage are lower $$$, this is similar to what I have but a bit higher in price (shop around).
    The bay list 150+ items in the $25-$65 price range.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/12kV-12-000-...c95uP7VBGvFf0A
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Pretty cool, but I will pass on trying this.
    C&C WELCOME

Tom, does your unit maintain a relatively constant tip temperature after the burning tip hits the work?

This is a big problem with the commercially made pyrography units. While they get very hot I haven't seen any with controls to maintain that temperature. For my purposes I've found the digit soldering stations like Weller's are a better tool. Their max temps are only around 900 F, but they maintain it within a few degrees.

My pyrography is done with a CNC using either a Weller pen (or a diode laser) mounted on the machine's head. When you're doing it automatically you can't easily slow done to compensate for the cooling of the tips.

The image shown is quite small. Colored with fine tip acrylic paint pens. I need a magnifying lamp to apply the paint. It's not as hard as it might seem since the paint doesn't bleed over the burned traces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightning pyrography doesn't rely on tip temperature to burn the wood. It is done by current travelling through the wood/baking soda-water medium. I have access to an infrared imager, so I might be able to measure the tip temperature in the future.

Saw your guys thread over the summer and thought you guys were insane to be messing with that high of voltage . Then I saw this tonight and now I want to do it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BN9pBQJg...igh_industrial

Yup, that's pretty much what it looks like in person. If you install a dial to control the voltage you can avoid the fire and flare ups seen in the video (so you have better definition of the pattern and less "blurry" scorch marks). The set up is pretty much a one trick pony, but it's a heck of a trick.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer