Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dye Sublimation heat transfer to acrylic questions

Rodney's taken CLTT to a whole new level. You can find out more about it here. http://www.themagictouch.com/

Here is a much simpler piece i did on white engravers laminate. I laser cut the shape then did the transfer.

Army clt 2.jpg
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Rodne can you elaborate on how the laser toner transfer works?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Colour laser toner transfer
    Like this
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Real easy , print the graphic using a laser (we use an oki..straight thru path) and using the magic touch release paper to print on , line it up on the cut piece of whatever you are transferring to (like the acrylic) ,put both in the heat press and hey presto.....
    Works on just about anything , wood , anodised aluminium , brass , acrylic (we do up to 25mm thick), plastics (so long as they survive the heat) , rowmark material , sublimation material etc etc
    The image can be scratched off if you really try hard , but what you do is post bake it for 10 mins or so and it becomes much tougher .. you dont need to do that for awards etc.
    We have an a4 printer/press , but you can go to a3 if you want
    Its about 50c a page , we charge up to $35 just to do the printing on an a4 award .. + cost of a4 award
    We do tons of thin anodised data plates etc as well as badges
    An example , a 6cm x 2cm badge can fit 40 odd badges on an a4
    cost to print a4 is at WORST $3 (paper , toner etc) divided by 40 -- 8c a pop
    CLTT is wonderful and is real cheap to get into .. a laser printer and a heat press .. well under $1k.. maybe more if you get a real good heat press (which I suggest)
    You can even do white printing if you get a laser printer that does white as well or use the magic touch paper with a white background -- gives a "solid" print vs just using colour
    check out magic touch as others suggested.. t- shirts etc can also be done
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 07-01-2016 at 2:56 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Real easy , print the graphic using a laser (we use an oki..straight thru path) and using the magic touch release paper to print on , line it up on the cut piece of whatever you are transferring to (like the acrylic) ,put both in the heat press and hey presto.....
    Works on just about anything , wood , anodised aluminium , brass , acrylic (we do up to 25mm thick), plastics (so long as they survive the heat) , rowmark material , sublimation material etc etc
    The image can be scratched off if you really try hard , but what you do is post bake it for 10 mins or so and it becomes much tougher .. you dont need to do that for awards etc.
    Its about 50c a page , we charge up to $35 just to do the printing on an a4 award .. + cost of a4 award
    CLTT is wonderful and is real cheap to get into .. a laser printer and a heat press .. well under $1k.. maybe more if you get a real good heat press (which I suggest)
    You can even do white printing if you get a laser printer that does white as well or use the magic touch paper with a white background -- gives a "solid" print vs just using colour
    pretty cool, what do you post bake it in?

Keith

Depending on what piece I want to post bake I use the heat press or my heat gun. To date my work has been smaller than Rodney's example; mostly plaques and name tags.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We use an old oven we bought for $30 .. also works well to heat acrylic for drape or mould forming , also works to anneal acrylic to relieve stress from machining and lasering , and of course , cook up a pot of soup or warm those pies...
    we use about 50 degrees C for plastics and 100 for metals

We no longer post bake however , we cannot get magic touch paper here anymore , and importing it costs us much more than the paper. We found a local supplier whose paper is much better in that it leaves a thin plastic coating on the heat pressed part.. obviously its part of the substrate of the paper , and only leaves the coating on the printed part , not the whole graphic.
    www.studderpromotional.co.za
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 07-01-2016 at 7:57 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    And how were they done Please?

AL
    I believe you probably have your answer Al, but he said standard Sub ink, cast Acr, 195dgs for 60 seconds.
    355 - 10400 : )

Thanks Rodne and Mike!

I forgot to mention that post baking causes the colors to develop a higher gloss.

I've tried other papers with mixed success. Here's a company I've used. http://www.coastalbusiness.com/laser...150sheets.aspx
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-01-2016 at 9:36 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Rodne
    Edu

Laserpro Spirit 30w