Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Square instead of tape measure - Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    Rod and Stew - Your Avatar pictures look like bio pictures out of Fine Woodworking! Very professional looking!

Robby
    Thanks Robby, I just propped my phone up and used the delay feature so I had time to get positioned. I must have taken 25 pictures before I got one where I wasn't still moving or where I had some dorky look on my face. Of course there are folks who'd tell you I ALWAYS look like a dork.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I have the Fastcap flat back tape measure and found it to be very accurate.

For anything where I need to make repeat measures, I will make a story pole or a small jig to make certain everything is the same.

I'm late to this, but as others have said if you don't want the tape measure, then the woodpecker saddle squares or starrett. Ya get what ya pay for but on the bright side you only buy good tools once.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Incra t-rule. Which is available in 6, 12, and 18 inch lengths. Very easy to be accurate
    I also use a 24 inch metal ruler I picked up from an office supply store(I think)

John

I'm late to this, but as others have said if you don't want the tape measure, then the woodpecker saddle squares or starrett
    For so many tasks a tape measure is indispensable. I'll still be using a tape measure, but where accuracy counts I would like to have some good longer steel rules with stops.

For now I think I am really leaning toward to the 18" hook rule from Lee Valley as it meets pretty much all of my requirements in functionality and price. I am going to keep the Woodpecker stuff on my radar and maybe put the T-Square on my gift list.

Robby

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I have one of these and love it! I use it all the time. They also have 12" and 32" sizes available.

http://www.woodpeck.com/tsquare24.html
    $115 for a square. Wow.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    [QUOTE=John Stankus;2579372]I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Incra t-rule. Which is available in 6, 12, and 18 inch lengths. Very easy to be accurate

X2

Maybe its just getting used to it. . . but the T-Rule seems very "busy" and I am worried I would misread it. Sometimes too many little ticks (and holes in this case) blend together.

Again, maybe its just a new way of thinking and double/triple checking.

Robby

Rod - Thanks. That looks like a very solid option also.

Rod and Stew - Your Avatar pictures look like bio pictures out of Fine Woodworking! Very professional looking!

Robby
    Robby, I don't know about Fine Woodworking, here's my shop cat from that group of photographs.

Sir Ellington Snodgrass III.............................Shop cat extraordinaire.................Regards, Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    $115 for a square. Wow.
    Come on Robert... it's not JUST a square. Yes all Woodpeckers Tools are pricey, but so are pretty much all high end tools. Look at how much in love with Festool so many people are. And yet, their stuff often runs 50%+ more than other similar tools.
    Woodpeckers T-Squares are long, and very accurate. They have holes sized for a .7mm mechanic pencil every 1/16". The "T" portion has lips that hook over the face of the Lumber or plywood so that you are assured it is laying flat. It has 1"OC holes for marking shelf pin locations. It is accurate to .001", and carries a lifetime warranty.

Stew Hagerty

Robby
    Here is me & my shop. Plus you can see some of Woodpeckers Tools behind me.

tmp_2836-Stew's Avatar - Large166459002.jpg tmp_2836-Stew's Shop - Panorama-1931437637.jpg

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    I have several accurate ss rules. If I have to be dead on accurate, I use two paint sticks and two binder clips for a story pole.
    If paint sticks are not long enough, use yard sticks.

As far as that goes, two ss rules clipped together work also.

Stew. You're not kidding about a lot of red on your wall! Also the the tape measure suspenders are a nice touch too.

Lowell - I agree when anything needs repeated measurements I make a jig for it.

My quest for more accuracy started because I used 1/16" aluminium angle to trim out my tile backsplash. There is no caulking and painting with aluminum so accuracy was important, and it took me WAY longer than it should have because I couldn't easily transfer measurements. When I started using my combination square rulers for the small increments, that's when things started improving dramatically.

Robby

For 40 years I've carried a hooked folding rule in my back pocket.

Accurate and always at hand.

Just don't walk around with out re-folding it.

Blog Entries
    Maybe its just getting used to it. . . but the T-Rule seems very "busy" and I am worried I would misread it. Sometimes too many little ticks (and holes in this case) blend together.

Again, maybe its just a new way of thinking and double/triple checking.

Robby
    I've had the 6" for years and it can be a bit fussy. For it's intended use as a marking and layout tool it is exceptional. As a general measuring device a simple pocket rule is quicker an easier. Speaking of which, even though I have good steel rule sets, I still have 3 or 4 of these at various spots around the shop; stuck to the bandsaw and near the tablesaw with a magnet, on the drill press and at the bench.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler