Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Square instead of tape measure - Advice needed

Square instead of tape measure - Advice needed

I find that my accuracy with a tape measures is generally about +/- a 16th (or more) of an inch because inevitably I have sag, angling, unhooking, etc. Also, it is a constant annoyance to have the tape flopping around when trying to mark an irregular surface, like quarter round trim, especially when pieces are under 12 inches or less. I find that I do much more accurate work when I butt a combination square/steel rule to a board end/side and measure. It is also easier/faster to transfer measurements because I can slide the ruler and lock the measurement.

I'd like to find a something up to 24" - 36" with a stop, or some was to catch the end/side of a board. I have considered carpenters squares, t squares, or maybe even just a ruler on a tabletop with sliding stop. I have also looked at bigger combination squares, but they get pricey.

I really don't want all of the extra information included with many framing squares and I don't really need metric markings wither. I just want clear imperial markings down to a 16th and a positive stop at one end so that I can firmly hold the measuring device on a work piece or lay the measuring device on a table and move the work piece to a stop.

Keeping in mind that this is just for woodworking, what would you suggest? Also to be clear, I would like to keep the price low.

Robby

The T-square sits a little proud for a rule to but up against.

07.jpg

My first thought was to make something. Think Marking gage with a stick-on tape. Set the tape zero to the end of the beam and omit the marking pin.
    Another thought... Yard stick with a sliding stop, thumb screw to lock in place.
    Both of the above are just gilded story sticks. Which would also work well.

I have one of these and love it! I use it all the time. They also have 12" and 32" sizes available.

http://www.woodpeck.com/tsquare24.html
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

What you are looking for is a hook ruler.

I have one of these and love it! I use it all the time. They also have 12" and 32" sizes available.

http://www.woodpeck.com/tsquare24.html
    That is a nice layout tool. Its a little pricey and I would cringe if it fell off the table. I could only justify that if someone else bought it for me.

However, the woodworking rules with hooks and story sticks are almost exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

Robby

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    That is a nice layout tool. Its a little pricey and I would cringe if it fell off the table. I could only justify that if someone else bought it for me.

However, the woodworking rules with hooks and story sticks are almost exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

Robby
    No problem. I have quite a lot of Woodpeckers Tools, a whole wall of red in fact. The biggest advantage to this over the rules & stops and the story sticks, which are also excellent, are the 1/8" spaced holes for exact measurements. BUt yes, they are a bit more pricey.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

The T-square sits a little proud for a rule to but up against.
    Pat - Where did you get that ruler? I'd love to have simple one like that for layout also.

Robby

If this is mainly for accurate measurements, I too think you're seeking a hook rule more than a t-square. You can make your own and see if you like it. Get a 24"-36" flexible steel rule. You can get them cheap for $10-$15 from Harry J. Epstein company, or maybe an art store. You don't have to get a super duper expensive Starrett or Mitutoyo rule since you want to keep cost down.

Then mill/cut a strip of wood or even MDF to the width and thickness you like. I would make it the same width as the ruler, but there would be nothing wrong with making it a little narrower so the ruler overhangs a little giving you another plane of registration for moldings and such.
    Tack/glue a stop on one end. Hot glue or epoxy the ruler to the stick, butting it right up to the stop. There you have it. You could use spray adhesive or double stick tape for attachment also. You could skip the steel rule and get an adhesive backed tape measure like they sell on Amazon for $5-$6 (I think Starrett makes them, and you probably have one on your table saw fence).

If you find yourself reaching for your hook rule a lot, you can make them in various lengths.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...20&cat=1,43513

The 18" hook ruler is the one I have.................Rod.

I have a Home Cheapo 6 ft straight edge that I clamp to the workbench then I clamp a stop to the measurement or the end depending on what I need. When I am done, I just remove it and I have full use of the bench again.

Rod - Thanks. That looks like a very solid option also.

Rod and Stew - Your Avatar pictures look like bio pictures out of Fine Woodworking! Very professional looking!

Robby

"Pat - Where did you get that ruler? I'd love to have simple one like that for layout also. Robby "
    Rule = Starrett in decimal inches. 6" x C606R, where ever they sell Starrett = Expensive.

Blog Entries
    My accuracy made a leap when I picked up a set of steel rules. Woodcraft and Lee Valley both carry them. I have 6, 12, 18, 24 and 36". I have a couple of Garret Wade's ruler stops which are light and low profile. Others make these in one form or another as well. I also have a set of hook rules that I got for Christmas that are very nice. I find I rarely use them preferring the ruler stops for no particular reason; maybe just habit.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-27-2016 at 6:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are other makes and styles, but one of these may be what you're looking for:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...25&cat=1,43513
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...90&cat=1,43513

I have the Czeck edge one and use it on shop made story sticks for machine set ups, as well as with a ruler for precise marking.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.