Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Curtain Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I got the netting at a commercial fabric store locally - it came it 10' widths. I keep it just touching the floor. Got the track from Ikea - curtain track with nice round corners.
    Jeff, what size openings and what material and color is the fabric? Also what commercial store has this fabric?

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    If you want heavy duty curtaining try your local sign printing business or commercial outlets that use large vinyl signs for rejects or past their use by date advertising campaign signs.

I have several that I get from a local sports store for free as they simply dump them when finished. They are a HD vinyl printed one side and are approx 10' x 8' with a rod pocket top and bottom to suit 1 & 1/4" dowel. Some have interesting photo only prints others are real in your face advertising banners but at least you can turn that face away from the lathe.

I use mine for photo backdrops, temporary screens, dust drop sheets etc.

I got cheap white plastic ones from Big Lots. White is better than clear for me as it makes for a better background when taking process pictures or woodturning videos like I make.
    God is great and life is good!

Re: the curtain tracks. I think I've found a good source. They sell them in custom configurations, include all the hardware, have options for a drop-down (which is good for me because of all my lights.) Here's the right angle one:

http://www.covoc.com/type-1-cubicle-track/

Here's the whole list:

http://www.covoc.com/cubicle-track/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    How about clear 6-mil plastic sheeting (and some grommets)?
    This is what I did to separate my shop off from the garage. I just bought a roll of clear plastic sheeting from the paint dept and a ½" grommet set at the BORG. I used a piece of 3/4" conduit for a rod and metal shower hooks. Fold the plastic sheeting at the top so you're putting the grommet through two layers, and it will be much less likely to tear. I was able to run the curtain across directly under a floor joist (my shop and garage are in the basement), and I made a short curtain that hangs down in front of the conduit rod by wrapping a piece of plastic around a 1 x 2 and screwing it to the bottom of the joist. I'll try to remember to post a picture later when I'm at home.

It not only keeps the dust and debris out of the garage, but the shop stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I keep seeing the "privacy" curtains that hospitals use with net at top and solid cloth about 6' down to floor. Something like that sounds like a good way to drop big shavings and allow air to circulate at the ceiling. A drawback would be that dust could also move with the air, but right air flow might minimize the dust problem.