Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Curtain Recommendation

Dust Curtain Recommendation

Have just installed a cubicle curtain track around my lathe and need a recommendation on what to use for the fabric. Want to stay with a lighter color, preferably white.

I use shower curtains from Walmart. Plastic doesnt collect chips or dust. Clear, or opaque, cheap to replace if needed.

How about clear 6-mil plastic sheeting (and some grommets)?

I just use the cheapest shower curtain I can find.

I plan on getting a shower curtain with a nice forest scene.

My only hesitation is fumes in a fire. Would some kind of cloth be safer?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Bill - I had put up a curtain on three sides of the lathe/sharpening station in my old shop. Just used heavy visqueen (sp?) plastic sheeting. I found that the solid sheet blocked airflow to the ambient filter on the ceiling. Wound up replacing it with a fine plastic netting that my wife found for me. A little more, but it blocks the chips while allowing the air to flow through.
    The new shop will use the same.

I like to use an oversize shower curtain with extra length to have curtain at floor and close to ceiling or at least 7' to stop the flying chips. Search Amazon. I use 1" thinwall or EMT conduit as rod.

Bob,
    I have been considering a track curtain arrangement as well. Do you have a vendor and model you recommend?
    Thanks

If you are looking at chip control, rather than dust control, you may consider netting. Mine has about 3/8 X1/4 openings.
    Allows visibility and air flow through it.
    If doing it again I would probably go with this type instead. I am sure they carry different lengths, this was just the first I found.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Barr...garden+netting
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Can you LMK which cubicle track you recommend, Bob?

I used a couple cheap 6"x8" plastic tarps from Menard's. They come in different thicknesses, but I bought the cheapest.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Bill - I had put up a curtain on three sides of the lathe/sharpening station in my old shop. Just used heavy visqueen (sp?) plastic sheeting. I found that the solid sheet blocked airflow to the ambient filter on the ceiling. Wound up replacing it with a fine plastic netting that my wife found for me. A little more, but it blocks the chips while allowing the air to flow through.
    The new shop will use the same.
    Jeff, What size openings in the netting and where did you purchase? Also what clearance at the floor do you have? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Can you LMK which cubicle track you recommend, Bob?
    Prashum, I used Imperial track. Also many other suppliers. Check Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Behling View Post
    Jeff, What size openings in the netting and where did you purchase? Also what clearance at the floor do you have? Thanks
    I got the netting at a commercial fabric store locally - it came it 10' widths. I keep it just touching the floor. Got the track from Ikea - curtain track with nice round corners.

I've been thinking about this as well, my thought was to purchase canvas painters tarp, cut to size, hem then insert metal grommets to hang the curtain with using standard wire shower curtain hooks from a closet rod.

David