Thread: What material should I use?

What material should I use?

I purchased anodized aluminum (very thin, I think .025?) to engrave, then cut trophy plates out of....did I mention I'm new at this?

The art work, and engraving came out very nice, it was when I got to the cutting part that I found out my 60W C02 laser doesn't cut aluminum.

Can anyone tell me what material I can use, that would get the same results/effect as the aluminum? ...that I can cut with C02.

Is there such a thing or am I limited to the plastic stuff only?

I've seen these metal plates on trophies before, how did they do it?

Thanks,
    Dan

If you don't want to use plastic buy a metal cutting desktop shear and stay with aluminum.
    Accucutter makes top notch shear for this purpose.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Its a step up from a shear and more expensive but a safety saw is a valuable asset for cutting thin metal and plastic. There is information about safety saws here in our archives.

Daniel,

An alternative would Rowmark's FlexiBrass, part # 602-3549, Brushed Aluminum/Black w/adhesive applied. The gauge of this product is .020", with a brushed aluminum finish that engraves to black.

Please visit Rowmark's website at www.rowmark.com to find a distributor near you. Please contact me direct at 1-800-243-3339 if you want a sample or have any questions.

Regards,

Phil Noakes
    Rowmark
    Rowmark
    Director of North American Sales & Customer Service

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by daniel hernandez View Post
    I purchased anodized aluminum (very thin, I think .025?) to engrave, then cut trophy plates out of....did I mention I'm new at this?
    Dan if you are in this for the long haul. Buy a metal shear !!

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Just got an email that JDS is offering a free Duets sheet sample with next order. Maybe that will work for you if you don't want to buy a shear yet
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

3 ways to make trophy plates(typically)

1. Print out labels on a laser printer (cheap but some do it)
    2. Shear metal plates, typically aluminum which is either sublimated or engraved.
    3. "Flexibrass" type material.

Personally, we go with option #3. I personally don't like cutting hundreds of little plates on the sheer, putting tape on the back of each, and then removing the tape. If I had a bunch of cheap labor, I'd probably use option #2 more often, but since I don't, it's easier to just throw it on the laser.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Totally agree with Ross if you want to remain at the "I only do trophies" phase of your business plan. When you want to step up into plaques and custom brass engraving you will have to take the leap and purchase a metal shear. I bet a beveller is out of the question.....How about a corner rounder.....
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

Blog Entries
    Mark....is a corner rounder anything like circle squarer? (squaring a circle?)

Sorry....bad geometry reference!

D
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

David,

See it here.............
    www dot maintrophysupply dot com/presses.htm
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Sorry David that is a Notcher or Scallop corner cutter, they both have square circles...
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Tony David was make a Washington (Seattle) joke...... But I do believe they are available at "Harbour Fright Tools"

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Blog Entries
    Oh Mark (and Tony!). It is worse and more feeble than that. Squaring a circle is an old geometry problem. A classic going wayyyyyy back to the greeks. You were given a circle and told to make a square of the exact same area using only a compass and straightedge, and in a fixed number of steps. It was proven to be impossible back in the very late 1800's I think and since then basically means being asked to do the impossible. As I said, a VERY bad geometry reference/joke.

I have been known to cut corners in order to get scallops but have never had a scallop corner cutter! <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.