Thread: Thinking out loud about bench grinders

Thinking out loud about bench grinders

If money were not an issue I would purchase a Baldor 8100W grinder (rated at 1800 rpm) and be done with it but at just over $800 it causes me to think a little. On the other end of the spectrum both in quality and price is the Rikon 80-805 at about $130. And in the middle there is the Jet JWBG-8 at about $330. Here are a few thoughts running around in my head while in the process of deciding which to buy.

The Jet seems to be a sensible middle of the road option and particularly attractive because of the included Norton ceramic 3X 80 grit wheel. The not so good is that it's made in China and has questionable reviews. It does have a 5 year warranty though. As an aside, it bothers me that all of the Jet vendors sell this grinder at the same price. At least the Baldor pricing seems competitive. Where are the laws against price fixing?

The Rikon is obviously an easy decision based on price and if I could find one on sale at $99 I probably wouldn't give much more thought to it. I could probably live with it until a used Baldor surfaces.

Ideally I would like to find a used Baldor but they don't come up for sale that often, especially in my rural location.

Another option that I keep coming back to is using my existing Baldor 6" grinder, which has some decent Norton aluminum oxide wheels in 80 and 100 grits. The thought was I could use this until a larger used Baldor becomes available.

Anyone care to offer a thought or suggestion that might tip the scale in my decision making process? I now have all of the equipment and tools necessary to begin my wood turning journey except for a way to sharpen tools. Incidentally, I just received my small assortment Thompson tools today. Earlier statements by forum members here about the excellent quality of these tools were understatements. They are fantastic.

I have a different thought and approach for you. I have an ancient Rockwell 6" grinder spinning at roughly 3500 RPMs that I picked up at a garage sale. It easily weighs 30+ pounds and I had two very good stone wheels on it. About a month ago I upgraded the traditional stone wheels to two of Ken's 6" CBNs from Wood Turner's Wonders...purchased the 180 and 350 grits respectively. Years ago I had a difficult time believing they made a significant difference...assuming, in part, that some guys were bragging about them to justify the money spent. Slowly changed my mind after reading countless fellow turners touting the improved sharpening so I finally broke down and purchased the wheels along with a 2nd Robo Rest. To say the difference was dramatic is a gross understatement...my best edge pre-upgrade cannot compare to my worst edge now. Point being...while I wouldn't judge you for you spend your hard earned dollars, it may at least be worth the question as to whether the new grinder is in order or a set of CBNs on the existing one. Good luck...

IMO if you just plan to use it to sharpen turning tools, you can't go wrong with the Rikon. I've had one for three years now with no problems. After the first year I switch to CBN wheels, if I had known what a different in sharping was over the white rock wheels I would have bought them with the grinder. Just my two cents.

I just bought the $99 Rikon and a CBN wheel to sharpen plane irons and chisels. Well worth the money.
    Fred

I have a 6" grinder with 1 8" CBN and one 6" white wheel. I will soon upgrade, not to the Rikon you listed, but to the 1 hp model. It is called the 80-808. I think this power helpful/needed to run a pair of 8" cbn wheels.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Based on earlier comments on this forum and books suggested here I'm not considering a 6" wheel being a permanent solution. Apparently the hollow grind is a little too deep for lathe tools. So, I'd like to stay on course with an 8" grinder for the long haul. I would also prefer not to run an 8" wheel on a 6" grinder for safety reasons. The CBN wheels sound great but I would like to stick with the frangible (?) type wheels for now so I can later appreciate the difference.

I came to a conclusion about a direction to take. It may not be logical and it certainly does not have anything to do with the technical merits of one grinder over the other but purely out of principle I will not purchase a Jet or Rikon grinder. After doing a little more shopping and checking it became clear to me that both manufacturers have restricted competition and prices set by sellers. Fortunately there is an alternative, one that happens to be a better product anyway. I'm buying a Baldor.

You might want to add the ~ $200 Rikon to your choices. More power then the $99 Rikon. Just food for thought

Edited:
    Sorry just saw your conclusion. I don't blame you it is valid if $$ can be spent. I went through a similar decision last January. I was just getting into turning. I chose to buy the ~$200 rikon + CBN wheels. I could not swing the Baldor + CBN wheels with everything involved with a starting. I also bought a couple of d-way tools and Thompson tools. No wrong answer here.
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 06-28-2016 at 10:37 PM.

I've got a few Baldor motors (not grinders) around. And compared to other moters....theyre nothing special.
    my approach was to buy antique ginders and new wheels. Balanced them properly and be done,

so my 1 hp Ford Smith has 12 wheels, is smooth as silk and will outlast me, for $50.
    the USE grinder is 3 hp, 14" wheels and about 350 lbs. its awesome, but cost about $250.
    no warranty for either, since they are both at least 50 years old and possibly on original bearings.

http://www.olafvogel.com/grinders.html

Not expensive, but both create a great edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Vogel View Post
    I've got a few Baldor motors (not grinders) around. And compared to other moters....theyre nothing special.
    my approach was to buy antique ginders and new wheels. Balanced them properly and be done,

so my 1 hp Ford Smith has 12 wheels, is smooth as silk and will outlast me, for $50.
    the USE grinder is 3 hp, 14" wheels and about 350 lbs. its awesome, but cost about $250.
    no warranty for either, since they are both at least 50 years old and possibly on original bearings.

http://www.olafvogel.com/grinders.html

Not expensive, but both create a great edge.
    Interesting comments Olaf. I missed out on an old 10" grinder a few days ago with the name of Blackhawke (not misspelled). It had a stout 2 hp motor rated at 1750 rpms. I hesitated a bit, the reason for missing out, because my online research suggested that it was a cheap Chinese knockoff. That was true for those focused in the research but this one had a riveted nameplate and looked much better made. That might have been a good option but we'll never know. There is also an old Black & Decker 3 phase grinder somewhat nearby that coupled with John Jordan's suggestion using a VFD might be interesting. All in all I like your style Olaf. Some of the old iron is good stuff and economical. The problem at least for me in the short term is that I need to get something to get started turning and because of the limitations I've placed on my decision maybe the best choice is the Baldor.

Steve, you can't go wrong with a Baldor grinder. They are among the best made today - and in the US to boot. I have two Baldor grinders and a buffer. All bought used, which saved a few bucks but that's all. You will absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    limitations I've placed on my decision maybe the best choice is the Baldor.
    I'm sure the Baldor is a good machine, but the prices I;ve seen around here are sky high. ($800 is the cheapest I've seen - used!)
    The difference is that you are comparing a Jet etc, as a hobbiest grade against a commercial grade.

Once you get into the commercial category, they are intended for many years of hard heavy use. Hence much better made.
    US or not, there are many really machines from Europe and other places.
    Ex. I have a WEG that I have overdriven many times on my lathe and its made in Brazil. And seems much better than my Baldors.

In that category, Baldor is so-so (IMO).
    The main challenge is finding a commercial grade grinder with 110 or 220v on single phase.
    I do have a 1 hp Black & Decker from the 60's with 10' wheels on 110 thats for sale.... but its about 100 lbs so shipping might be an issue.

The option is a 3 phase commercial grinder (used) and a VFD. VFDs are pretty cheap on eBay, used from China. I just got a 1 hp for $130.

Just a thought before you drop $$$$.

Admittedly, I have 3 ph power in the shop, which provides added flexibility.

The counterpoint is this:

Years ago I took a course with a local turner. He had a Baldor grinder. My impression was WOW, thing it is awesome.
    His response was: "Dont waste your money on it. Get a good wheel and a balancer and make sure its really well balanced. The machine doesn't make a difference."

To each his own.
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 06-29-2016 at 10:39 PM.