Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Not Convert to Metric?

Why Not Convert to Metric?

I have a Hammer slider with a metric system installed on the fence. It's actually a much easier way to cut things and even build. Why haven't we simply adopted the metric system in the USA? It would prove much easier to figure fractions for those folks who are fraction challenged.

Problems I have w/ metric:

- not related to human scale / experience for me — I know what four inches is roughly, but ~10cm doesn’t register w/ me
    - not easily divisible by thirds, sixths, 12ths, &c. — and if I want even divisions for smaller units, I’ll dig out a graphic design ruler w/ PostScript point/picas (72/inch) — wouldn’t be so bad if CAD programs made it easier to use fractional measurements in metric
    - too expensive to replace my favourite brass bound rule: http://www.jimbodetools.com/Near-Min...le-p42665.html

That said, I use it for some projects, esp. those where I want to match dimensions, and or cut out w/ a CNC, and I use metric when jogging the machine or doing CAM.

I'm too old and stubborn to switch...... Just set in my ways.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    The conversion of the US to metric discussion has been going on for many years and will likely continue for many years. For engineers and scientists who work in both sets of units, conversions are pretty simple. For others, the metric system can be baffling and unfriendly because they are not used to it. I think metric things are gradually replacing the old U.S. standards as we get more and more goods from metric countries. Reasons why we haven't converted are many, some valid and others not so valid.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Oh yeah, and it’s also a hoot when the metric purists have to get out a 6.35mm hex bit (1/4") or 12.7mm socket (1/2") or a 1.27mm Allen wrench or Torx bit (0.050").

Yes, few of them have much validity at all. The real issue is why was there so much resistance when we started 30 years ago. Grasping at straws like saying it is difficult to divide by three show just how stubborn people can be. I mean really, I'm old but they must be pushing 200.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 06-28-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Rich, the brain trust here solves all your problems. But we are not gonna go foreign with measurin' stuff.

The medical field has worked in metric for over 40 years during which I worked there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I just figure it's easier to calculate by 10 or 100, than 8, 16, 32 and 64. Perhaps I am being lazy.

its like most things people are afraid of change. I find that in measuring its pretty easy , mm,cm, m, km ect but thats because I make an effort to use it, but when it comes to liquid measurements, Im not making that effort and I don't know what things are. I guess its just a matter of what you relate to and how much of an effort your willing to put into it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Well, if we're going to upset the apple cart we might as well go whole hog and go with base 12. That way we could divide by 2,3,4, & 6 evenly and decimals would be a breeze.

Australia changed to metric in about 1972. For about 20 years imperial was outlawed. This meant you had to learn the system and so everyone changed. Plenty of complaints but such is life. Now it is legal to buy/sell measuring devices in imperial or metric, but no-one bothers with imperial. I learned both systems and I can tell you that errors with arithmetic dropped remarkably when fractions disappeared. We on this forum may have the brains to do the fractions easily, but think back to when you were at school and how many of your class mates hated fractions. As far as foreign systems go, think a bit and work out where the "imperial" system was invented... Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

what will become of a 2 x 4? will these be known as 50mm x 100mm or perhaps a 5cm x 10cm. The construction industry will probably resist any conversion for good reason.

what i found confusing was when the major car companies GM, Ford and Chrysler half-converted their cars to metric. It forced a mechanic to use both metric and standard to repair the cars. They should have just used one or the other IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Australia changed to metric in about 1972. For about 20 years imperial was outlawed. This meant you had to learn the system and so everyone changed. Plenty of complaints but such is life. Now it is legal to buy/sell measuring devices in imperial or metric, but no-one bothers with imperial. I learned both systems and I can tell you that errors with arithmetic dropped remarkably when fractions disappeared. We on this forum may have the brains to do the fractions easily, but think back to when you were at school and how many of your class mates hated fractions. As far as foreign systems go, think a bit and work out where the "imperial" system was invented... Cheers
    At least we no longer have to deal with British Standard Whitworth nuts and bolts!