Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to retrofit a new controller to a 1236 metal lathe from MicroKinetics.

Grrrrr! Every shipping trailer has tie-downs. There is absolutely no excuse for that except pure laziness.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No, I bought using Paypal and the purchase is protected. They will side with me as I never received a thing. He was the shipper as we negotiated freight included in the price. Freight company always settles with the shipper unless extenuating circumstances arrise. Same with UPS and Fedex. Been here before. Will just take a few days.

Guess maybe I will consider converting my Baileigh.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-08-2016 at 8:19 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Got the refund tonight from the seller on my lathe that the freight company damaged. Seller was not happy. He had till midnight to send the money before Ebay lowered the boom on his 700 items for sale. Ebay and Paypal buyer protection is for real folks. As a seller, you are responsible for delivering ALL the to the buyer an item in the same condition that you describe it in. If you pay for and arrange and ship the item to the buyer, you are responsible for that shippers actions as well. When they screw up you will settle up with the shipping company yourself and you refund the money to the seller. It makes zero difference what you state in your shipping guidelines. That buyer is protected. Freight companies always settle with the shipper of the item.

I have also found a new 1236 lathe in Atlanta GA and I think I will just go get it myself this time. Dont want to risk another.

This new used one has threading and 3phase motor and VFD already installed.

Ended up going the freight route - hopefully they ship out tomorrow. Two pallets and I had them bolted, strapped and covered.

Going to pick up the lathe from local Estes terminal later today. In prep for its arrival I decided to mount it on a HF 72" toolbox intead of its factory stand. Went and got that today and the sidebox 18" cabinet to mount the driverack controller and the PC on. Really hoping for perfect shipment condition this time - cross your fingers for me.

Fingers crossed for you Mike.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Sucks about the lathe damage. Just looked like the power box damaged from the photos. But, You Can still use the Drive Rack for other CNC Projects! Have you done a google search on Microkinetics I have a lot of info on my blog I have converted the drive rack to run on Mach3 and currently doing Linux CNC (Tormach Path Pilot) Mesa Conversion on the same lathe.

Just Gut the Microkinetics Connections From The Drive Rack.

On the DR/DM Drives you only use 3 Wires, Stp/Dir/+5V

Reason for going to LCNC is for Threading support Mach is very limited on threading/encoder support generally will not work right. Be sure to check your Encoder you get with the lathe you may need to rewire it to add an index and B+ Channel. Most the microkinetics encoders are tied to A Channel A+&A- to work with their limited MN400 & TMP Software, You will need to use A+ B+ Index +.

Also, Microkinetics uses Serial or Modbus on their VFD should be a Teco Drive and easily Adapted to run LCNC or Mach 3.

Microkinetics Drive Rack Conversion Path Pilot

Last edited by Steven Rhine; 08-09-2016 at 5:25 PM.

Steven/CoPilot soo glad you posted. I will be following your lead on the second driverack I got. It has a bad MN400 anyway. Tell me/us more about the Path Pilot!! Sounds awesome.

Well its home and in the shop. Going to put it on a 72" HF Toolbox with a side cabinet.

I'm curious to see how setting that on a roll-away is going to work out for you. I have some doubts.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Its tall but mobile and that is what I need till my walls are finished on the metal working end of the shed. Ill use a riser to stand on for now.

Mesa 6i25 and 7i76 cards showed up today and I got a PC and ssd drive for it at lunch today. Ill get Tormach Pathpilot running on that setup.

Video of it jogging on the Microkinetics Driverack MN400 based controller and Turnmasterpro.