Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new PAPR - where to try 3M Airstream?

Need new PAPR - where to try 3M Airstream?

I've tried the Triton respirator and the Airshield Pro respirator, and neither one of them worked for me.

The Triton fogged up in the winter, was really hot in the summer and didn't blow enough air and the bubble shield distorted the view. It was comfortable to wear though.

Although the Airshield Pro has a flat face shield and you can apply peel off visor covers, and the airflow is more than adequate, the darn thing is just too heavy! It can't be adjusted to fit my face correctly, so it pinches off circulation to my head because I have to tighten the straps too tight.

That leaves me with one more option for a face shield PAPR.. the 3M Airstream. Which is extremely pricey. And there's no place I know of to try one out. Any suggestions?

Not for the first time, I wish Bionic would come out with one. Their face shield is second to none for adjustability and comfort. Maybe I'll just get a Dust-be-gone and make do.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

The RZMASK can be worn under the Bionic face shield. Worth a look. https://rzmask.com/?afmc=2

Thanks! I'll check those out...

Anyone else?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I have been using bionic shield with eclipse p100 mask https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

airstream is very nice, above is much cheaper

I use the 3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7500 series. It fits under the bionic shield, and directs exhalation downwards so your mask doesn't fog up. It's comfortable and really works.

I like the 3M Air Mate with the fan & battery mounted on a belt. Since I have a beard, many respirators don't seal well. (Although the RZmask looks interesting.) If you are patient, you can assemble a 3M system via Ebay. Right now you can get a fan unit, filter and battery for under $70. Then you would need to buy a shield/helmet in a separate auction, perhaps another $200

I have a beard and use the 3M Airstream. Works really nice. I like that the battery is on my belt, not in the helmet. Battery life is many hours, I don't know how many, as I always put it back on the charger before it expires. Been using one weekly for about four years with zero issues. Yes, it's pricey, but I like it. The air is brought in from behind, goes through a filter in top of the helmet and down across your face, exiting below. Very comfortable, no fogging issues. Your exhaled air that has the moisture just gets vented right away. Pretty quiet too.

I also thought the Airshield Pro was too heavy. I looked at one at the Tennessee wood turning symposium this winter.
    In Woodturning magazine (UK) I read about the Axminister APF10 respirator. Sounds interesting. Light weight, 8 hour lithium battery life.
    Does anyone know if their available in the US? Has anyone tried one?
    They are priced at 200 lbs ,so around $300 US?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post

That leaves me with one more option for a face shield PAPR.. the 3M Airstream. Which is extremely pricey. And there's no place I know of to try one out. Any suggestions?
    Before I purchased my 3m Airstream I called 3m. I asked How to see one in person prior to the large purchase. They put me in touch with a regional rep. The regional rep said no demo in my area but about 30 miles away was a medical demo and they had a Airstream I could demo. Jumped in my car and headed out.

As soon as I put it on I knew I was going to purchase one. Something I learned their at the demo: it is modular. Ya even get to pick the type of belt. I got the smooth belt so dust just rolls off. Get the long hose if your going to wear the unit around your waist. Some Wear it in the middle of the back.

When turning I sometimes wear it 4-6 hours. I forget I'm wearing it sometimes. It's that comfortable.

Great tips on the Airstreams. I'll have to do a bit of research on them for sure.

Meanwhile I've sprung for one of the RZ masks and filters. I don't think I'll ever wear the Airshield Pro again. Too heavy, and I may be developing neck problems if my PT is correct...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

11. Jim....I have the Trend AS Pro, and also according to the MRI that I had done back about 6 years ago, have a herniated disc at C3-C4, and I wear my Trend sometimes for several hours at a time, and it does not bother me.........other than when I do not have a freshly charged battery in it, and begin to hear the beep, beep, beep right when I am in the middle of a crucial part of the project!

I don't want to have to shell out nearly $1K for a PAPR unit, but if the Trend did not work for me, I certainly would after having the problems with pneumonia and sinus infections I have had over the years.

I took a look at the AS-600, and it seems to not use a belt, but if I see the pics correctly has the battery in the helmet as well.......is that correct? I think the AS-400 model is the one with the belt and hose. IF you get further info on this would you mind sharing it with us? I think the filters on the AirShield Pro are too expensive, but have never compared to the filters for the 3M PAPR.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    Before I purchased my 3m Airstream I called 3m. I asked How to see one in person prior to the large purchase. They put me in touch with a regional rep. The regional rep said no demo in my area but about 30 miles away was a medical demo and they had a Airstream I could demo. Jumped in my car and headed out.

As soon as I put it on I knew I was going to purchase one. Something I learned their at the demo: it is modular. Ya even get to pick the type of belt. I got the smooth belt so dust just rolls off. Get the long hose if your going to wear the unit around your waist. Some Wear it in the middle of the back.

When turning I sometimes wear it 4-6 hours. I forget I'm wearing it sometimes. It's that comfortable.
    I have the 3M Versaflo not the Airstream. Sorry for any confusion.

Jim, not sure if it's in your price range but I swear by the JSP PowerCap http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Heal...spirators.html

Not sold in US but they will ship. Just did a buy with 3 local-ish woodturning clubs and bought 14 of them. They offered (when we asked) free shipping on 6 or more. Well worth getting some people together for that.
    Light weight and far better for me than Trend or Triton for roughly the same money. I know of 3 or 4 people who had them on this side of the pond before we purchased so fairly well known. I can't believe how much dust these filters are catching even with a DC close to the lathe. Scary.

Jim

Just an FYI:

Look at welding helmets. Various manufacturers of helmets have PAPR systems for their helmets, which can certainly be adapted to our use. They aren't cheap though. Another source is the automotive painting trade. You can get a Hobby Air II Half Mask system for $475.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Silva View Post
    Jim, not sure if it's in your price range but I swear by the JSP PowerCap http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Heal...spirators.html

Not sold in US but they will ship. Just did a buy with 3 local-ish woodturning clubs and bought 14 of them. They offered (when we asked) free shipping on 6 or more. Well worth getting some people together for that.
    Light weight and far better for me than Trend or Triton for roughly the same money. I know of 3 or 4 people who had them on this side of the pond before we purchased so fairly well known. I can't believe how much dust these filters are catching even with a DC close to the lathe. Scary.

Jim
    Thanks for sharing this Jim. It looks similar to the Axminister APF10 that I mentioned in a previous post.
    The JSP seems to be just what Iv'e been looking for.