Thread: Need help!!!!!

Need help!!!!!

Hey Guy's, I've been having some issues with the X axis on my laser. I checked everything I could and concluded that the microstep driver was the problem. I found a new driver that matched the original one and ordered it. I just installed it and I set the dip switches just like the original, the carriage now moves in the X axis but not as far or as fast as before. I'm guessing I need to adjust some settings for the limits and speed, but how do I do that? Suggestions are appreciated. Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wade View Post
    Hey Guy's, I've been having some issues with the X axis on my laser. I checked everything I could and concluded that the microstep driver was the problem. I found a new driver that matched the original one and ordered it. I just installed it and I set the dip switches just like the original, the carriage now moves in the X axis but not as far or as fast as before. I'm guessing I need to adjust some settings for the limits and speed, but how do I do that? Suggestions are appreciated. Terry Wade
    Any adjustments should be in your software. But... you might have selected something in the new Driver with a dip switch as enabling micro stepping and the old one did not have that feature. So its making the same steps but they a smaller steps and therefore the axis does not move the required distance. In other words if the old stepper was set up to take 5,000 steps to move x mm's and now those same steps only move it 1/2 the distance.

I wish I knew more that would help.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    When you were installing that you may have reset your controller board to its original, factory settings. Those are in the settings you access from your control panel. You need to make sure it has the correct settings for the size of the table. That may take care of the fact that it doesnt move as far as it did before. The other thing is it may be reverted to default settings for the speed of the X axis movement. Again, you can control that from the control panel. Your manual for the laser itself should show you how to do that. It is not likely to be a software setting if you are seeing this problem when you try to control the unit directly from the panel.

Unless I am not understanding when you are seeing the problem?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Its just on the one axis as I understand, the one he replaced the stepper driver on. That has nothing to do with controller.

Hey Guy's I went back and took a good look at the info on the side of the old driver and got the info how it was set. I then made the adjustments with the dip switches on the new driver to give me the same values as the original and now all is right with the world. I was able to run a test cut and then ran 2 small jobs that were in line. So I learned a few lessons along the way about the laser and I'm a happy camper again.

Thanks for the help!!!

Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Reading stuff like this makes my butt clench. I'm not nearly ready to run into problems like these

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wade View Post
    Hey Guy's I went back and took a good look at the info on the side of the old driver and got the info how it was set. I then made the adjustments with the dip switches on the new driver to give me the same values as the original and now all is right with the world. I was able to run a test cut and then ran 2 small jobs that were in line. So I learned a few lessons along the way about the laser and I'm a happy camper again.

Thanks for the help!!!

Terry Wade
    I had a feeling that was the answer, glad I could help.