Thread: Advice Needed - What Material for Chip Deflector

Question Advice Needed - What Material for Chip Deflector

I want to make a chip deflector for my miter saw and I'm not sure what steel to use.
    I really don't know much of anything about working with metal. I know what I want to do and what shape I need to cut & bend it into. What I don't know is what steel to use. I want to be able to cut & bend it easily enough that it's not a struggle (I am disabled and I have some weakness in my dominant right arm), yet hold its shape without deforming every time I look at it. There will be no real stress on it. it's just going to hang on the back to help deflect more chips & dust into the vacuum chute.
    So what do you think? 22 gauge? 28 gauge? More, less, in-between? Or another suggestion?
    My other thought was Brass, but it's more expensive. I'm not worried about the blade ever coming in contact with the deflector, so that is a non-issue.
    Suggestions?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    28 ga. galvanized sheet metal is plenty strong enough for what you're planning to do, I would even go with 30 or 32 ga. for a small shield like this. You could even make one from a soup can or pop can or similar. Another option would be to go with rubber or plastic. Don't waste your money on brass.

If something happens to rip the part off and throw it at something fragile, like you, it will be a lot better if it is plastic or stiff rubber. A spinning blade can throw something with a lot of force.

I've added Festool Kapex Dust Chute to some tools. It is item 471316, called an Apron and is about $6. In its original application , it is clamped on with 471315 and pulls dust into Extractor Connector 494307. All three parts add up to about $15
    .Kapex-DustChute.PNG
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 06-30-2016 at 9:52 AM.

I have a DeWalt 12" DW716XPS. I love the saw, except that most of the chips & fast shoots under the vacation port. I want to add a deflector to direct it in.

Stew Hagerty

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I picked up some 28ga galvanized metal.
    I do like the idea of the Kapex dust shoot. Any suggestions on where I can order it online?

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I picked up some 28ga galvanized metal.
    I do like the idea of the Kapex dust shoot. Any suggestions on where I can order it online?
    from https://www.festoolusa.com/service/spare-parts-catalog/

"Replacement parts can be ordered from your preferred Festool dealer or by calling the Festool Service Department toll free at 1-888-337-8600. We are also available to answer your questions or to help identify the parts you need Monday-Friday from 8am - 5pm ET."

Festool prices are general the same everywhere, so service and time to ship are the differentiators. Bob Marino http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com is the person I have been using for new Festools, I don't know if he stocks/sells parts. I had a problem with a shipment from Bob, he reshipped the same day,...
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    from https://www.festoolusa.com/service/spare-parts-catalog/

"Replacement parts can be ordered from your preferred Festool dealer or by calling the Festool Service Department toll free at 1-888-337-8600. We are also available to answer your questions or to help identify the parts you need Monday-Friday from 8am - 5pm ET."

Festool prices are general the same everywhere, so service and time to ship are the differentiators. Bob Marino http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com is the person I have been using for new Festools, I don't know if he stocks/sells parts. I had a problem with a shipment from Bob, he reshipped the same day,...
    Thanks Mark,

I remembered that our local woodworking store now carries Festool so I called them and they put it on order for me.
    So I figure I'll form the metal into a bracket that I can hook the rubber deflector onto.
    I'll post photos. The DW716 is popular saw. I figure I'm not the only one that wants to improve the dust collection for it. It's a great saw, if only the dust chute came down further and widened as it did so. Where it's at, probably 75% of the dust flies right under the existing chute. Design flaw...

Stew Hagerty

Hey Greg....

Do you happen to have that Kapex setup on a DeWalt miter saw? If so, do you have a pic?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick,
    Sorry, no.

I did adapt one to a Makita and a Hitachi.

I need to learn my brother's trick of documenting everything with great pictures and then explaining how he did it.