Thread: House painting: Durability of spray painted versus a rolled?

House painting: Durability of spray painted versus a rolled?

Hi guys.
    I'm going to help my neighbor paint the outside of his house. (Long story.) We're debating using an airless spray gun. He intends to live there a long time and I'm concerned a spray paint job won't hold up nearly as long as rolling it, because I think more paint goes on the house when it's rolled/brushed. (When I've painted before, I rolled an oil-based primer and two coats of good latex paint.)

Can we really get enough paint on there with a gun to compare with the durability of rolling it on?

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you!
    Fred

Fred,

I have a neighbor who is a semi-retired professional painter. Being semi-retired, he "cherry picks" the paint jobs he does. My youngest son often worked for him in the summers while attending college. They used the sprayer to apply the paint and back rolled it with a roller.

Two years ago when I painted my home, I preferred to use a pad for the lap siding on my home. Because of my balance issues, he painted the high parts of my single story ranch and I painted the majority of the home at lower elevations. He used a pad just to please me.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Use the sprayer as an application tool and back roll or back brush as stated above for the body. All your trimwork will be brushed or rolled. It's more important to clean and perform all of the prep work well than whether you brush roll or spray. You can also spray the last coat to achieve a very even sheen. Before you paint the substrate must be clean and have no loose or failing paint. Most paid jobs that I see which have failed prematurely can usually be traced back to a lack of proper Preparation.

My experience isn't exactly the same but is similar. For 30 years, I have lived in a house with Western Cedar siding. I use an opaque "stain" which is just paint that is a little watery. The first time I painted it, I used rollers and a brush. The second and third time, I sprayed it with an airless sprayer. All three times, I used Home Depot Behr premium stain. I can't really tell any difference in the longevity of the stain. I will say that the effort involved was something less than half what I expended with the roller. I don't know what you mean about the quantity of paint going on being different. I found it easier to get uniform results with the airless sprayer. If you want to spray a heavy coat, just dial up the pressure and go slow.

As a long time painter what makes the difference is preparation as the other guys said. Spray is good and quick but you must brush and roll as well to get fiddly bits properly covered especially on the first coat. Cheers

Unless it's aluminum siding, you need to back brush. I don't (didn't) back roll exteriors because by using a brush I could do all the cut-in by just spraying a little heavier near the edges to give myself a paint supply for cutting in.

Proper prep is key, as well as staying out of the hot sun. Use no oil, not even the primer if you need one (bare wood and stains). Today's acrylics are far superior, but don't skimp on cost--expect to spend at least $50-60/gallon at a dedicated paint store.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thank you guys!

I absolutely understand about proper prep - he plans to spray wash and caulk everything.

Best regards,
    Fred