Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest of Drawers

Chest of Drawers

Here is a first chest of drawers. It’s a simple, post and panel chest on chest made of veneered plywood panels braced with poplar web frames. The NK-style drawers have veneered fronts, routed dovetails, 3/8” plywood bottoms, and NOS pulls from EBay.

The cockbeads on the sides of the drawers are thin slices (some glued end-to-end), cross-cut so the beads’ grain runs parallel to that of the drawer sides, heights of which exceed 11” in the bottom case.

Visible exterior surfaces are African mahogany solids and veneers. Visible exterior vertical surfaces are finished with Waterlox, case tops and moldings with Arm-R-Seal.

I tried to give it Georgian lines while keeping the build process as simple as possible and the end result solid. For those reasons I didn’t worry about all the anachronisms (the drawers, etc).
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a heck of a project, Bob. It looks gorgeous. ..Beautiful molding and design. ..Beautiful wood and matching of grain pattern. It fits perfectly in its place .. almost as if it were designed for that spot.

That is beautiful! I'd be proud to have that in my bedroom!

Blog Entries
    A beautiful piece and a great location. Nice color and hardware match as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks great! The grain match in the drawers is excellent.

Very nicely done sir. Congratulations.

Beautiful craftsmanship. Why two different finishes on the outside?

John

Blog Entries
    A beautiful piece of "Fine Furniture".....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quite a splashy showy piece! I notice the slight splay on the base piece,not sure I've seen that before. Anything that subtle in appearance and requiring so much extra work deserves notice. Love the mouldings and brasses,too. Some color variation doesn't bother me and is much better than toning IMO,but I think the feet would benefit from being a little darker. The feet,I think , have a bit too much roll where they meet the floor. But there have always been quirky feet and in some cases they a makers signature mark. Fine work

Great job. I wouldn't use the word "simple" to describe any part of it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Beautiful work and finish, very nice. I now see the splay that Mel mentioned, it does add visual stability to the piece, as Mel said hard achieve. What did you use for drawer slides?

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

John Ten Eyck: Thank you. I used Waterlox on the front and sides because I like it. However, it doesn't harden well for me. Thin coats of Arm-R-Seal do, so I used that on the tops and connected moldings.
    Last edited by Bob Stanny; 07-01-2016 at 6:01 PM.

Mel: Thanks very much. I agree that the feet should be darker. I tell myself flaws can sometimes be endearing. The very bottoms of the feet aren't actually curved (if that's what you're looking at): Round Super Sliders I put under them protrude a bit and compress an arc of carpet in front of each foot....

The feet are slightly offset, but there's no splay in the base or the case. (None that I put there on purpose, at least.) There is a bit of wonky perspective in my cell-phone photo, that might look like splay in the case.
    Last edited by Bob Stanny; 07-01-2016 at 6:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think the feet would benefit from being a little darker.
    I disagree Mel. It appears that the left foot is lighter than the right foot, just as the left side of the drawer above it is lighter than the right side. There are a variation of shades in the whole piece.

It is beautiful Bob! Excellent work!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Seems to me the old pieces usually have darker feet. But that could be from dirt-patina, doped up new feet ,etc. But regardless of cause ,I see it often in shops and friends homes.