Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tool rests

tool rests

I got a Delta midi and the tool rests that came with work, but are not the smoothest. They are not very slick and at times fine shaving dust gets clogged in the surface and the tool has to hop over this. I am looking at getting a new rest or modular system. has anyone tried the T-Bar Modular Tool Rest System? Any others i my want to look at?

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tmotoresy.html
    Last edited by Bruce Wilson; 07-01-2016 at 12:38 AM.

I don't know about the ones from Best Woods. I bought a set from RHerrel on the penturners forum. They do all I expect of them, he doesn't have the full variety of the Best Woods set, but he has everything I need. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f172...ssories-92501/

Whats wrong with Robust? Same money much better, hardened steel rod on top and all of mine work great. Will not wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wilson View Post
    I got a Delta midi and the tool rests that came with work, but are not the smoothest. They are not very slick and at times fine shaving dust gets clogged in the surface and the tool has to hop over this. I am looking at getting a new rest or modular system. has anyone tried the T-Bar Modular Tool Rest System? Any others i my want to look at?
    I'm not familiar with the Delta midi tool rest. Is it cast iron? Many tool rests need to be dressed occasionally with a file to make smooth, remove nicks. I file my large tool rests, sand slick with fine sandpaper, then wax.

I have some of the Best Wood Tools rests and they are very good quality. There are several things about them to consider: one, the modular design is nice in theory but I found I didn't like to take the time to change the bars - I just wanted to grab and go so I just bought some extra posts. Second, the tool supports are a 3/4" round rod which puts the tool contact point further away from the work. For small things I sometimes like the rest closer to the work. Also, if what you want is not in stock I hope you're not in a hurry. I had to wait months for my last order. I understand everything is made by the owner and while the workmanship is outstanding too bad if he gets behind. A friend told me he always buys from them at shows for no waiting. (BTW, I love the Best Wood Tools box rest. I have the Baxter threading jig too and it is extremely well made.)

Have you looked at the Robust tool rests? These are considered by many to be some of the best available. They also use a hardened steel rod for the tool support (it is always slick) but it is a small diameter rod and the design of the rest lets you put it very close to the work. I've used them and have a homemade clone, but I intend on buying some.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-toolrst-robu

Another thing: if you have metal working capability or have a friend who does, you might consider making one. I've made several. To make one like the t-bar all you need is a couple of pieces of steel rod and a way to weld them together.

JKJ

My Delta tool rests came with black paint on them. It was very sticky against the tools. I sanded the paint off, and it worked much better. Now, I occasionally dress the edge with a file. Some day I'll get tool rests with the hardened rod, but there is not much selection in a 5/8 post diameter.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

6. I have a Delta midi 46-460 and I got this toolrest from Rockler that has hardened drill rod. It also has a coating on the post, which in time will get scarred up with the screw on the banjo, but I do like it a lot, and the tools ride smooth over it. I replaced all the rests on my large lathe with Robust rests with drill rod.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-lathe-tool-rests
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Brent will make custom tool rests if you don't see what you need on Robust's web site. I think they are a pretty good investment.

thanks for all the info guys. I will look at Robust, but I need the 5/8 size post. I have the Delta 46-460. The tool rest that came with it appear to be cast iron, black, bumpy, pitted metal...look like cast iron grates on a grill. so the pits get clogged and headaches and hassle ensue.
    Thanks for the tips about getting paint off, filing, sanding, etc. I may try all this before upgrading. What I really want/need is a bowl rest to help with inside of bowls. I've only made two, but was getting a lot of catches when doing the inside and was thinking it was because I couldn't get the rest close to inside walls. I had a about an inch+ of tool overhang.

thanks for all the info guys. I will look at Robust, but I need the 5/8 size post. I have the Delta 46-460. The tool rest that came with it appear to be cast iron, black, bumpy, pitted metal...look like cast iron grates on a grill. so the pits get clogged and headaches and hassle ensue.
    Thanks for the tips about getting paint off, filing, sanding, etc. I may try all this before upgrading. What I really want/need is a bowl rest to help with inside of bowls. I've only made two, but was getting a lot of catches when doing the inside and was thinking it was because I couldn't get the rest close to inside walls. I had a about an inch+ of tool overhang.
    I had one cast iron Jet tool rest that had some annoying pits right where the tool slides. I filed some small ones away but I filled a couple of larger pits with JB Weld then filed smooth and waxed. This has worked well for about 15 years.

Robust does sell tool rests with 5/8" posts. Here's one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Robust-Mini-R.../dp/B004DIHN0U
    The comments at the bottom tell how long the post is so you can see if it will work with your lathe.

I don't think a 1" overhang is excessive. Mine are usually at least that in places. I'm pretty sure it will get a lot easier for you with experience. The shape of the tool grind is important but tool control is way more important. At the TAW Symposium this year expert bowl-maker Glenn Lucas demonstrated turning a bowl with at least 4" tool overhang at one point, might have been longer. He used a straight rest and made beautiful continuous cuts on the inside from the rim to the center. Of course he'd practiced on thousands of bowls. He also showed why a curved tool rest for the inside of a bowl didn't help much, at least for the tool grind he uses.

Do you do any spindle turning? A number of experts say that spindle turning teaches you the tool control that will make bowl turning easy. It evidently doesn't work the opposite way.

JKJ

What I really want/need is a bowl rest to help with inside of bowls. I've only made two, but was getting a lot of catches when doing the inside and was thinking it was because I couldn't get the rest close to inside walls. I had a about an inch+ of tool overhang.
    It can be frustrating when your tool snags on a ding in the tool rest. Also keep in mind that on the outside of the bowl you want to be cutting on the centerline or above for a supported cut. On the inside of a bowl it's the opposite, centerline or below. Check this next time you are having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I don't know about the ones from Best Woods. I bought a set from RHerrel on the penturners forum. They do all I expect of them, he doesn't have the full variety of the Best Woods set, but he has everything I need. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f172...ssories-92501/
    I second the tool rests from Rick Herrel. He will make them to your specs at a very reasonable price. Rick is a great guy to deal with and does awesome work!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    It can be frustrating when your tool snags on a ding in the tool rest. Also keep in mind that on the outside of the bowl you want to be cutting on the centerline or above for a supported cut. On the inside of a bowl it's the opposite, centerline or below. Check this next time you are having trouble.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this backwards? I thought that you want to be positioned so that if you get a catch that it will tend to push the tool into air rather than deeper into the wood. Also, attempting to scrape the outside of a bowl, you don't want to be above the centerline as the burr may not be in contact with the wood.

I use tool rest from Advanced Lathe tools. Steve uses hardened Thompson linear rod tops. He makes a 3"
    6" & 9" with 5/8" post. Great rest.

I'm done with soft rests. Starting to replace them with a hardened top rod rest.

Thanks for the tip Doug.
    John, I have done some spindle turning. Few pens, bottle opener handles, honey dipper. I'm new to all of it though so practice of any kind is needed.
    Thanks for the info on rests. Will look at the robust and others mentioned.