Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading ailing Grizzly G0454 to Shelix or buy new Powermatic 15HH with Shelix?

Upgrading ailing Grizzly G0454 to Shelix or buy new Powermatic 15HH with Shelix?

My 10 year old Grizzly 20" G0454 is hurting lately. Something happened in the cutterhead/pulley connection that has everything twisted and mangled. The key slot in the cutterhead and pulley is mangled and beyond repair. It means buying and installing a new cutterhead, pulley, key and retaining bolt/washer. I don't want to get another 4 knife cutterhead for it, I would rather upgrade to the Byrd Shelix if I do the repair. With all the other associated parts and new bearings, it would cost well over $1,000.00 (even though Grizzly has the Byrd heads for 875.00 now. I also was at Woodcraft recently and saw that they have Powermatic tools on sale in July for 10% off which got me thinking...........is it worth it to invest $1,000 into a 10 year old Grizzly or bite the bullet and get the better Powermatic with the Byrd head already installed? I know the Grizzly I currently have is 20" wide and the Powermatic is 15", and I am willing to downgrade the size for the better quality of the Powermatic with the Byrd head. When I bought the 20" Grizzly 10 years ago I thought I would need the 20" width and found that over the 10 years of use I never did need it at all, so the 15" Powermatic would be sufficient for me. Thoughts?

With the damage you describe, there's probably more. Time to replace it and not have to worry.

Save yourself some money and get the grizzly version. Green paint apparently costs way less than yellow, since they're exactly the same machine.

I would want something that lasts longer than 10 years.

15" Planer

We have a Powermatic 15" with Byrd head. I've been very happy with it over the last year it has been in use. I thought about purchasing the 20" when we were buying it last year and a few times I have wished I did but none were really necessary. But everyone's work and situations are different. If you have not needed the 20" capacity in the last 10 years and your not changing work habits or project types then I can strongly recommend the Powermatic. I would like to add a DRO to ours but haven't yet. I wish it came standard with one is my only complaint.

I have the GO453px with the Grizzly head, cuts just as well as the Byrd, and you don't have to change the cutterhead. Why pay more for gold paint, when you can get the same machine from Grizzly for less.

Tough call!
    There would normally be a significant cost difference in the machines, but with 10% off, and avoiding the shipping fee's, it might only work out to about ~500-700 dollars difference at this point. Applicable state sales tax could factor in also.
    Go with your gut and don't second guess yourself.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the PM made over in Asia just like Grizzly, maybe in the same factory. I have had two 15in planers, one Grizzly and one Bridgewood and they havent changed the design much over the years. I would go with the Grizzly and save the money. Though Grizzly doesn't offer the planer with the Byrd but with their own spiral design which works fine for me.

I don't think it is as simple as that. Factories sometimes use the same design but make an A, B, C version with different QC specs. I don't know the specifics here but there are grading systems for castings, bearings, motors, steel, etc. Some companies do hold the supplier to a higher level of quality. That would be my homework. Dave

anyone in the PA area want to buy a used Grizzly G0454 in need of repair?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Save yourself some money and get the grizzly version. Green paint apparently costs way less than yellow, since they're exactly the same machine.
    Now you're going to go and get the Mustard Militia riled up. They can be as rabid as the Festoolians if you poke them while their sleeping ;-) Seriously though, there are many G0453Z owners out there that are very happy with their machines and spent that extra $1200 on a full set of replacement inserts ($295 from oella) and a good array of quality hand planes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Now you're going to go and get the Mustard Militia riled up. They can be as rabid as the Festoolians if you poke them while their sleeping ;-)
    Let me know when I need to start handing out helmets.

13. I did some research before buying my current planer. I was concerned about buying a Grizzly because of the price difference. I thought there had to be a difference in the machines even though they looked the same and the parts are interchangeable. I contacted several of the more expensive colors and two of them responded. Both of the companies admitted the planers came out of the same factory.

One response was that there was enough variance in the manufacturing process that some machines were better than others. The machines were then sorted into groups and the best machines got the most expensive paint with the lessor machines getting cheaper paint. So basically they were saying there machines were the good ones and everyone else sold seconds.

The second response said they had there own engineers on site and they were selecting the best machines as they came off the assembly line to get there paint. So by buying there color I was getting the pick of the litter.

Neither company said there machines came out of a different factory or had different parts. Just look at the Byrd site and see how many different brands use the same heads and bearings.

I ended up buying a Shop Fox at the Grizzly tent sale. It had some pant problems so I got a good price and it works fine. I recently ordered a Byrd head for it and I getting ready to upgrade it.

As far as your old planer is concerned If the castings are not damaged and the machine performed well for you, I would do the Byrd upgrade. why buy a smaller version of the same thing.

If you do buy the PM please let us know if you find any difference in the way the machine works. I am sure the Byrd head word make a difference but what about the rest of the machine?

Most machine shops could build up the shaft, turn it to size and cut new key way. Do a little searching for someone who has converted their machine to Shelix. They have a old boat anchor for sale which will fit your machine. Lot cheaper than a new head.

Quote Originally Posted by dale rex View Post
    My 10 year old Grizzly 20" G0454 is hurting lately. Something happened in the cutterhead/pulley connection that has everything twisted and mangled. The key slot in the cutterhead and pulley is mangled and beyond repair. It means buying and installing a new cutterhead, pulley, key and retaining bolt/washer. I don't want to get another 4 knife cutterhead for it, I would rather upgrade to the Byrd Shelix if I do the repair. With all the other associated parts and new bearings, it would cost well over $1,000.00 (even though Grizzly has the Byrd heads for 875.00 now. I also was at Woodcraft recently and saw that they have Powermatic tools on sale in July for 10% off which got me thinking...........is it worth it to invest $1,000 into a 10 year old Grizzly or bite the bullet and get the better Powermatic with the Byrd head already installed? I know the Grizzly I currently have is 20" wide and the Powermatic is 15", and I am willing to downgrade the size for the better quality of the Powermatic with the Byrd head. When I bought the 20" Grizzly 10 years ago I thought I would need the 20" width and found that over the 10 years of use I never did need it at all, so the 15" Powermatic would be sufficient for me. Thoughts?
    Honestly without pictures it sounds like the pulley was loose for some time and just chewed the shaft up. If that were the case I would just replace the cutter head and the pulley.