Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite epoxy?

Yes, it does leave a redish brown glue line. But in the case of vacum bag laminations where you glue resaw veneer to baltic birch substrates, this is not an issue.

In certain cases such as scandinavian bent strip furniture, they use the glue because it leaves this brown line and they use it with birch and maple type woods just to get the constrast.

In the case of some bamboo flyrods, this line is also desired for stylish reasons.

In the case of some woods like walnut and mahagony, the line is almost invisible. This can be important in the case of bent strip laminations where you dont wish to see this line.

To a great degree, the line color has not been that great of an issue. When gluing boards to make a larger side or when glueing boards to make a table top, more often then not, its titebond II that gets used.

And lastly, I am looking into using epoxy for some areas. For example, in making very thin layer boats from strip lumber, it is often done that a thin layer of woven fiberglass is glassed over the wood. It is darn near invisable when the polyester resin is applied and greatly enchances strength. This is an application where I would not use resourcinol.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

If different glues are being considered. I would suggest Unibond 800. I is a two part glue lile resourcinol, designed to work in vacuum bags, but can be used without, and comes in different colors of light medium and dark to match your wood, or give contrast. It's set up time can be changed with mix ratio.

www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 09-24-2005 at 12:06 PM.