Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Bee Hive Comb Frames

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, it's been an interesting start to this wonderful activity....
    Good clean fun! I would be interested in a nuc or two of those. Too bad PA is so far from TN.

I see you are in Bucks County PA, right? When I drove up to Maryland to pick up a 3520b a few months ago I probably went through your neighborhood on the way to the countryside outside of Coopersburg. I went visit Ellis Walentine, see his farm, and play in his shop, do you know Ellis? We also visited his neighbor David Ellsworth - that was fun too! I found out David is a big snooker fanatic.

I actually grew up in PA but on the other end of the state, south of Pittsburgh.

What are those two wooden spacers with what look like entrance reducers on colony 3? Is the one between the two boxes a vent on a queen excluder? Then I see another dark rectangle on the front of the outer cover. I'm not familiar with those. And yikes, who works without gloves?!! I'm not that brave.

JKJ

John, I know both David and Ellis. I spent a weekend with David a number of years ago...he's a great guy and to this day when I turn, I use a couple of "his" gouges. David's place is about 30 minutes away; not far. I haven't spoken to him for a very long time, however. He's a brilliant artist, outstanding teacher and also knows how to market himself. Ellis I've met a couple of times. He's just north of me. So yea...you were in the neighborhood. If you come up this way again, please put me on your "list". Professor Dr. SWMBO's maternal grandmother lived in Knoxville until she passed at age 97. She lived alone in an apartment despite being essentially blind for the last 5 years or so...strong woman and sharp as a tack until about the last six months.

On colony 3 ("Montgomery"), at the time that photo was taken just after they came home, it was a single medium brood box, an inner cover (for a top entrance and to support feeding jar(s)) and an open medium to cover the feeding jar(s). It's two medium brood boxes now with the same setup for feeding. We are about to enter the "dearth" and all the colonies are still needing to build comb for brood and stores. The other two colonies have the same arrangement up top, but are a little farther ahead.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...