Thread: "Micro-Project" - Monitor stand

"Micro-Project" - Monitor stand

What's not to like about a 30 minute project to start of a holiday morning? (Ok, an hour with finishing including wait time ) Professor Dr SWMBO got a new computer system from me for the Christmas holiday and due to her eyesight, needs it raised. The initial "solution" was a stack of books which wouldn't be unusual for a university professor, but I offered to make something more, um...attractive. And wooden.

So I grabbed a piece of surplus wide oak flooring I got with a bunch of stuff from a contractor friend a long time ago, machined it to 1/2" thick and put together a simple open "box" to do the job. Unlike that last project (honeybee comb frames) that required all kinds of milling, jigs and actual "thinking", this was "joint flat, thickness, and cut". Again, a nice thing while the latté was still beginning its important work.

Glue, 23 gage pins, a few countersunk trim-head screws for strength, plugs, sand, a quick thin application of BLO and then spray bomb shellac.

Really fancy, eh?

In situ....

I purposefully made it a little higher than I suspected she wanted/needed, but wanted her to come to her own conclusion as to the exact height she needs...it's easier to make shorter than it is to make taller. And the final verdict after a few hours of use is about one inch shorter than it is now. Two passes on the slider will fix that the next moment I have in the shop. (There are small, felt pads on the bottom to insure it doesn't scratch that cherry desk I made back in 1997 or so...it only has a BLO and wax finish. Really)

And from there, I started on building a new basement door for in the kitchen area to match existing doors elsewhere. No way to buy one since it's an odd-ball size. That's going to take more time and effort than this little monitor stand.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-04-2016 at 9:34 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sometimes the easy projects are the best stress relievers Jim.
    It looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Sometimes the easy projects are the best stress relievers Jim.
    It looks nice.
    I agree. This was a nice break going between two projects that offered complexities and "requiring thinking". And it made someone happy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...