Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

5 July 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope each of you had a great Independence Day weekend. I'm still working on therapy for my left shoulder pain and it is improving, just taking longer than I'd like.

Worked in the yard this weekend and got a lot done. The LOML Jr hasn't gone into labor yet but getting really close according to the doctor. Our first grand-child is soon to be born!

No fireworks for us this year, we stayed home, celebrated the birthday of the LOML Jr as she was born on July 4 and spent time with the family. I also started my oncall week yesterday morning...so it is...what it is.
    Still working out at the gym and no further weight loss. I'm stuck at a plateau and can't seem to get by it. I'm not getting discouraged as I'm in this for the long haul.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past 4th of July weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Busy, productive weekend...spent mostly in the shop for a change. The only "landscaping" relating thing I did was to clean up the area where I park my trailers after finally washing the "winter dirt" off the horse trailer, getting incredibly filthy in the process. Since I've been using 3/8 red tipple to replace all the wood mulch in our landscaping, I put some down in the trailer parking area, too, making room to move some tractor implements there, too.

The rest of the weekend, aside from eating a bunch of good food... ...consisted of completing two projects; one complex and one "nearly brainless", and then starting on a couple of interior doors for the house that will match those that were installed as part of our addition project a few years ago. These doors are for the basement stairs and powder room in the kitchen area and have to be custom build due to the odd sizes. That will be something new for me, for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm a new guy here, and coming from construction experience in the past..........converting to wood working skills in the future, making a new shop

this weekend I fired up my bran new delta 36-5100 TS and made the first cuts with it, then assembled and read the directions on a bran new 735X dewalt and planed a few pine boards.........and then for the first time.....fired up my old Hitachi router mounted in the grizzly router table with a 1/4 round over bit

made a small face frame and a solid door for a plumbing valve junction box in a garage wall, sanded it and put a coat of flat polyurethane on it

everything went smooth except adjusting the router fence and the bit depth adjustments I struggled with those .......first time adjusting a router table

Saturday night neighbors had a wing ding and fireworks off their pier and Sunday night another neighbor had a party and shot fireworks off their pier.....

ate like a king and watched fireworks overlooking the water

my back is a stiff after moving that 735X around ,,,,,,it weighs 92lb according to the owners manual

I need to learn more about dust and chip collection........and router table adjustments

a table saw, miter saw, planer and router can make one heck of a lot of sawdust in short order
    Last edited by Robert Eckerle; 07-05-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Not a lot. My back has been slowly mending, which greatly limits my shop time.

Still, I got a nano-project (even smaller than a micro-project) done. The arms of the toilet paper roll holder in the master bath are too far apart, resulting in the roll falling out constantly. I turned a little spacer to put into the "big" half of the spindle, moving the spring out some. Not a perfect solution, but it will do until I come up with something else. (Relocating an arm isn't in the cards.)

Also, I finally finished my shooting board, a task that took longer and brought on more discomfort than anticipated. All I need to do now is hone the blade of my Veritas Shooting Plane and I'll be of to the square race.

Finally, I worked on the design of my mobile base for Uncle Max and the station for my SawStop. I'll be picking up the steel for one or both this coming weekend, so I can start cutting it and getting as much ready for welding as possible.

And I made a big pot of chili, much/most of which will be consumed this week.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Finished building my vacuum press from Joe Woodworker V2 venturi kit.

IMG_1328.jpgIMG_1325.jpgIMG_1324.jpg

Speaking of vacuum presses...having been asked to prepare a gift for a family that's relocating, and having been given free rein over the details, I undertook my first veneering project this weekend. Finally used the press I bought several years ago.

cropped.jpg

Quarter matched walnut burl over MDF substrate, wetted with mineral spirits in this photo.
    Chuck Taylor

Began glueup of the head and foot boards on my bunk bed project. Thankfully, the LOML has given up her parking spot in the garage for use as a temporary assembly area. The twin ends went together without issues, and am hoping the full ends will go the same. With any luck, I'll be able to start the support rails by the weekend.

ForumRunner_20160706_082209.jpg ForumRunner_20160706_082217.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 07-06-2016 at 11:29 AM.