Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Office - lots of pics

Nice job. How many days do you have in it? Were that my job, I would sub out the finishing, and spec 2 coats of Cat. varnish on top of the color, and just adjust the price accordingly. I find that on some work, it is cheaper to have it finished than to finish it myself, and paint is in that category for me. Very tidy job.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Gail, They look great. That is a lot of cabinetry for a small room and it you made it all look great. I like the use of the drawer for the shelf support. Did you end up spraying all the pieces of did you paint by hand. Either way the finish looks great.

Excellent job Gail. Looks like you took alot of time and really made the whole project work down to the drawer lining up heigth wise to the pop up table. Finish looks very good as well.

Corey

Corey, I can't take credit for that, our original idea was a drawer but I changed it to make a leg instead, then when I installed it, the drawer worked perfect...sometimes it comes together, gotta love that.

Also, in response to how long... about 100-125 hours, hand brushed paint (took too long) - poplar, birch and MDF counters.

thanks everyone.

You go girl!! Great job Gail, I am sure they are please as could be with it. They are beautiful! So, if you don't mind my asking, how was your estimate.....close or out to lunch?? Personally, that is the hardest part of a large job - figuring in all the cost factors right down to the screws, glue and sandpaper to the approximate # of hours. I hope you were as happy with the final tally as you customer was with their office.

Beautious work Gail. How much scribing did you have to do to get the long top to fit so tightly to the wall? Or were the drywall gods with you, because they're never with me!!! Those are nice pieces you've done, great job. David

Congratulations on a very nice job.

Great work Gail. You get more work done than anyone I know. And it is all good work. Time to get that spray booth started.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

?Paint?

Gail:

Since there is "paint" in every post, why not tell us about the painting--spray/brush/roll--sanding. Also, what sort of paint? Enamel/gloss/semi-gloss?

Nice custom job!

Bill Fields

Nice job

Gail,
    Very nice work. So do tell what kind of joinery did you use on the panels? Where they inset into dados? M & T joints on the doors?

And the file drawers open, right? It really does look a little tight in the corner what with the window sill and flip up desktop. I'll assume they do unless I hear a loud scream.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Bill, the paint was Ben Moore semi gloss over a pva primer...I rolled all the cases with a no nap roller and then brushed out, 2 coats of paint over primer, the frames are with a hand brush. Most shelves, other than corner unit are adjustable.

Paul the doors are standard style and rail (poplar)with nice pretty profile. I used ash for the panels (1/4" ply) because the grain does show a little through the paint and is a nice detail.

Steve, there are 2 filler boards on either side of the file cabinet so yes it does open.
    With little to enough clearence on either side.

David, the corner unit I had to scribe the top alot, then when I put on the desk top, voila, it didn't need any scribing. Just some caulking along the wall. perfect fit.

Shelley, the costs were close to my estimate. I came in high on my price, so my costs were about 1/3 of the total project.

Alan, please tell me what Cat Varnish is....

Thanks all.

Gail, "Cat Varnish" would be short for "catalyzed varnish". There are quite a few different renditions of it, including "pre-catalyzed" versions, but the bottom line is that they all pretty much cure very quickly and get hard very quickly. Many cabinet shops will use a pre-cat lacquer. Does that help?

Oh, yeah, that looks pretty good, too! For brushed and rolled, especially!
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 09-24-2005 at 8:08 AM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Only thing I can say is a SUPER FINE JOB.

Looks very nice Gail! I sure hate to paint, but I do like it when it's finished and looking great! I like the pop up shelf idea....I may have to do one of those in my shop!