Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 15th machine came today!

Hi Gary, I replied to this thread since it contains a lot of useful information about Chinese Fiber lasers and the settings in EZCad.

See the image attached to the original message to where "Q Pulse Width" setting is located.

The way I understand it, an annealing mark on steel can produce color marking. It's not an engraving or deep marking. There is a lot of youtube videos showing this effect on steel. Search "color fiber laser" to see an example.

Kenny

Going to bump this thread again. I appreciate the sharing of settings. I do primarily deep engraving on 7075 aluminum with a 30w rig, I am curious if anyone has come up with good hatch and power settings for getting a deep black mark on aluminum? I have come up with nothing after hours of fiddling.

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of different machines out there, all with very different settings. Adding your machine to your signature block would go a long ways to getting appropriate answers.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I don't believe you will find anyone who can get a deep black mark on aluminum with a fiber. I believe a MOPA laser will do it but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krei View Post
    Going to bump this thread again. I appreciate the sharing of settings. I do primarily deep engraving on 7075 aluminum with a 30w rig, I am curious if anyone has come up with good hatch and power settings for getting a deep black mark on aluminum? I have come up with nothing after hours of fiddling.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think a mopa will make aluminum black either, I think the missing carbon is the problem. The best I've gotten is a middle-of-the-road medium-dark gray on aluminum. Only two ways I've found to get aluminum black:
    1- engrave and paint
    2- Cermark and 80 watts of C02 laser to hit it with
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I don't believe you will find anyone who can get a deep black mark on aluminum with a fiber. I believe a MOPA laser will do it but I'm not sure.
    Ummmm I have come close. A recently finished military project. Pure Black, maybe not. Very, Very dark Gray/Black - yes.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-18-2017 at 2:30 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Im with the gang on this one, dark mottled grey/brown, appears black ish but not as good as black annealing on Stainless. Only way on Al is a MOPA.
    Spartan.png
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    There are a lot of different machines out there, all with very different settings. Adding your machine to your signature block would go a long ways to getting appropriate answers.
    Good point, added to sig. I am using a 30w IPG.

Another engraver friend of mine can get a nearly black mark on aluminum with his fiber, he claims it took him forever to figure out how to do it, and as much as we share info back and forth it's the one secret he won't share with me.

Here's an example of his black markings on aluminum.

19366577_1442586655807299_6862797005201093388_n.jpg18891808_1426486424083989_3241366522215925979_o.jpg18893374_1426486360750662_1858648565193957256_n.jpg
    30w IPG Fiber Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krei View Post
    Good point, added to sig. I am using a 30w IPG.

Another engraver friend of mine can get a nearly black mark on aluminum with his fiber, he claims it took him forever to figure out how to do it, and as much as we share info back and forth it's the one secret he won't share with me.

Here's an example of his black markings on aluminum.

High power, dense hatch, at least bi-directional and slow speed.

19366577_1442586655807299_6862797005201093388_n.jpg18891808_1426486424083989_3241366522215925979_o.jpg18893374_1426486360750662_1858648565193957256_n.jpg
    High power, dense hatch, at least bi-directional and slow speed.
    355 - 10400 : )

I'm at a loss from a technical standpoint on why you'd ever want to engrave something like that so deep. What's the point? Does it make it more readable? Does it make it last longer? It doesn't ADD anything to it for me. In fact, I think it looks worse than if you would have done it on the surface or very shallow. Plus that's a TON of heat to be putting into something, while removing that much metal.

The photo on the right of those 3, I think look horrible from a quality standpoint. Just my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm at a loss from a technical standpoint on why you'd ever want to engrave something like that so deep. What's the point? Does it make it more readable? Does it make it last longer? It doesn't ADD anything to it for me. In fact, I think it looks worse than if you would have done it on the surface or very shallow. Plus that's a TON of heat to be putting into something, while removing that much metal.

The photo on the right of those 3, I think look horrible from a quality standpoint. Just my opinion.
    Here's a larger question. At some point, you could remove enough metal to alter the function of the piece, at least in theory. These firearms are engineered with specific precision, though maybe you don't remove enough to worry. And those pics are not from the slide or other moving parts. I do think though that the Feds might have some issue with it. It's an interesting topic.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    I do think though that the Feds might have some issue with it.
    The ATF cares nothing about decorative marking on a firearm, they are only concerned with serial numbers and the requisite marking for SBR's and the like. They would, however, care about a non-FFL marking firearms - although this apparently depends on which agent you ask in what location.

The ATF cares nothing about decorative marking on a firearm, they are only concerned with serial numbers and the requisite marking for SBR's and the like. They would, however, care about a non-FFL marking firearms - although this apparently depends on which agent you ask in what location.
    From a personal side, there's no way I'd touch one without an FFL, but that's just me.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

The ATF cares nothing about decorative marking on a firearm,
    Oh, but I'm afraid they do! Read my 'called an attorney' bump... or just read this-- https://www.atf.gov/file/55461/download
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Oh, but I'm afraid they do! Read my 'called an attorney' bump... or just read this-- https://www.atf.gov/file/55461/download
    I meant as far as what you do, how deep, etc., not whether or not it's legal to do it without an FFL.