Thread: Caution - Check Chuck Jaw Screws

Caution - Check Chuck Jaw Screws

I have had two different occasions in last couple of months where the chuck jaw screws have come loose over time on different chucks. The first was on Oneway Stronghold #4 jaws and second on a Nova Precision Mini standard jaws. The first was detected by unusual noise as jaws lost firm hold as screw loosened. The second was detected as screw came completely loose and was thrown out at about 800 rpm to unknown location in shop, thankfully I was standing correctly out of the line of fire.

Now I am needing to find replacement screw for the Nova Mini and cannot seem to find the correct size or find anything locally, and have call in to Teknatool. The screws should be replacement parts and listed as such for easily replacement or stock item. Even dropping a screw when changing jaws can result in loss of screw in shop conditions.

Yeah, it's really irritating that Nova never gives you any extra screws. Rockler sells them, though.

http://www.rockler.com/nova-spare-jaw-screws-kit

Here is the spot on the Nova page. http://www.teknatool.com/products/ch...SpurCenter.htm (bottom of the page)

I bought an extra set when I got my first extra jaws and have used several already after untimely drops and roll-aways. When they hit the floor they turn invisible.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Now I am needing to find replacement screw for the Nova Mini and cannot seem to find the correct size or find anything locally, and have call in to Teknatool. The screws should be replacement parts and listed as such for easily replacement or stock item. Even dropping a screw when changing jaws can result in loss of screw in shop conditions.

Good point. BTW, Nova sells spare screws (I bought a package of spares once) and even sells a little kit with all the screws and allen wrenches, the same as comes with the chuck. I think Woodcraft carried this. Even amazon carries them but they might be cheaper elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-NSFK-Fas.../dp/B0064JJGEW

This might not work for you but I keep a separate chuck for each set of jaws. A little drop of the BLUE (non-permanent) Locktight or other thread locker fluid will keep the screws from loosening and still allow them to be removed. This might not be so good if you changed jaws frequently.

I got in the habit of periodically checking the tightness of all the screws after finding one loose long ago. A T-handle allen wrench kept stuck to the lathe with a magnet makes this a lot quicker than messing with the little L-shaped allen wrench.

PS: magnet on stick = screw recovered from shavings

JKJ

Thanks. Ordered from Rockler along with folding flush cut saw that I had been wanting for travel to cut off tenon nubs.

My chuck screws always tend to loosen with spring and fall temp. changes. The blue locktite works well.

I you think blue thread locker holds a little to tight the old way was to use finger nail polish which as we all know is lacquer. well it used to be anyway, just thought of all that has been changed to a latex bases.

Interesting safety point. I use several jaws in all my chucks and am constantly changing them and have never found one that was even a bit loose. Most of the time I have to give a little extra muscle to start them. I guess I may have just been lucky and will have to keep an eye on them from now on.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Interesting safety point. I use several jaws in all my chucks and am constantly changing them and have never found one that was even a bit loose. Most of the time I have to give a little extra muscle to start them. I guess I may have just been lucky and will have to keep an eye on them from now on.
    I agree with Peter and only recently after 10+ years of turning and multiple chucks had never had a chuck jaw screw work loose and usually had more problem removing to change jaws. Bad things do seem to happen with time when we get complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    My chuck screws always tend to loosen with spring and fall temp. changes. The blue locktite works well.
    Peter,

Just an idea. If, as you mention, you are constantly changing the jaws, and if, as Robert observed, loosening does happen with the change of seasonal temperatures, then you and others who change jaws often are probably tightening the screws every time and avoiding the seasonal loosening.

Robert's observation does sound plausible. My own experience may agree with his but I never made the connection with the temperature changes. Before I started using Locktite I simply checked the screws when I thought of it and occasionally found some loose.

I haven't changed some jaws in over 10 years since I have chucks for each set of jaws so the screws never benefit from tightening while changing.

JKJ

Home Depot

Next time you're looking for Nova replacement parts, use DuckDuckGo or Google search engines, there's a good chance your best and cheapest option will be at Home Depot (online, not in-store). They sell the set of screws only for $6.78, free shipping to store. If you need the whole kit, or you don't have a close-by Home Depot, then yeah -- the whole kit's a better deal. I bought the Nova tailstock set (multiple tips) through HD, it was quite a bit less expensive than other options. Teknatool product warrantee applies, they stand behind it.
    Last edited by Jamie Straw; 07-10-2016 at 1:08 AM.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    This comes up regularly enough to warrant attention as a safety hazzard. When I was in NZ in 2014 for their Symposium there was a write up in their national wood turning newsletter about an incident involving a chuck jaw flying off a chuck at speed. Fortunately it did not hit the turner.

It surprises me just how few turners regularly maintain and service their chucks. They are work horses and cop a pretty hard life but more importantly the jaws are the connection between the work piece and the lathe for most turners. They fail & you are in deep do do!
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 07-10-2016 at 6:38 PM.

I have used my Oneway chucks for many years and never found a loose screw on them, but it helps to keep all parts clean and make sure you tighten all the screws properly.

As for spare screws, I have 4 set of jumbo jaws and a set of flat jaws, plus several other sets of jaws, every set of jaws comes with a set of screws, there are lots of screws in the box where I keep those screws and then I got a new set of rubber bumpers, as the oldest ones were starting to break down, plus a spare set, and so there are another 16 screws, yes lots of spare screws .
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I have used my Oneway chucks for many years and never found a loose screw on them, but it helps to keep all parts clean and make sure you tighten all the screws properly.

As for spare screws, I have 4 set of jumbo jaws and a set of flat jaws, plus several other sets of jaws, every set of jaws comes with a set of screws, there are lots of screws in the box where I keep those screws and then I got a new set of rubber bumpers, as the oldest ones were starting to break down, plus a spare set, and so there are another 16 screws, yes lots of spare screws .
    Oneway has a different policy than Nova. Nova includes the screws with the chuck body, but not the jaws. Theoretically, you would never need more than screws, but sometimes they get lost. It would be nice for Nova to include extra screws with the jaws. It would be an insignificant extra cost for them, especially considering the cost of the jaws.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Oneway has a different policy than Nova. Nova includes the screws with the chuck body, but not the jaws. Theoretically, you would never need more than screws, but sometimes they get lost. It would be nice for Nova to include extra screws with the jaws. It would be an insignificant extra cost for them, especially considering the cost of the jaws.

Steve
    The thing is that you will need some screws, either sooner or later, then people will get some screws (try cheaper screws) maybe not the exact fitting screws, if then something happens the chuck gets blamed, not the, not fitting screws, or cheaply made screws.

I rather have some extra screws that I know will fit and are high quality, they also don’t wear out quick like some low cost screws will.
    Have fun and take care