Thread: Hanging Tool Cabinet Progress so far

Hanging Tool Cabinet Progress so far

A while back there was a thread about wall tool cabinets.

This is what I decided on. Its basically combination of several designs I came across.

Sorry its laying down not glued up yet.
    Larger upper area will have two slanted plane tills with a vertical divider.
    One side for longer planes and the other side will have shorter planes, shoulder planes and a space under neath for block planes
    There will be 3 drawers at the bottom.
    The shelf above the drawers will be a catch all.

I've mocked up the tills and will be finishing them, so more pics to come.

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

That's going to be a great addition to your shop, Robert. I'd love to do similar someday, but I don't actually have an "available wall" to hang one on...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ve been contemplating a couple similar cabinets. I’ll be interested to see this one develop.

This is the plane till layout I came up with.
    The only plane I think I'll get is a #5 plane which I left room for on the left.
    I doubt I'll be getting any more smaller planes but I figure the space where the shoulder planes are could be changed if that happens.

Doors are finished & ready to hang.
    Then comes all the fiddling with tool storage.
    Cody, I"ll be spending a lot of time in my thinking chair!!

ToolCabLayout.jpg

Nice work. Nice to also have your own masterpiece always in your shop instead of at some clients house or buried in your own. Where's the Macassar Ebony with Ivory inlays?
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Toolcab6.JPG
    Toolcab5.JPG
    Toolcab4.JPG
    Toolcab7.JPG

Dimensions are 35W X 36H x 12D.
    I also plan to build a shallow base cabinet underneath (16" deep) and some sort of clamp storage.

Notes:
    1. The outside of the doors will have corkboard on one side and white board on the other.
    2. I've had to adjust the plane till a bit to avoid interference with the doors.
    3. After messing around with layouts/racks for chisels, I quickly realized one whole side of the door won't even hold them all, So I may be forced to keep my utility chisels in their case.
    On the other side will be 3 dovetail-sized saws and a tenon saw, which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

Now, I'm pondering whether to mount a second door inside the existing doors, or whether to just make another tool hanging area on the wall for hammers, etc.

Any suggestions or pics of your tool holders/layout appreciated.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 07-16-2016 at 8:21 AM.

Wow...that turned out REALLY nice so far!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice tool cabinet, Robert. I have one similar but a lot less refined. I also only had a block plane when I made it but have about a half dozen or so different planes now. I think I'll wait until yours is complete and organized before planning another one. I can then steal all your ideas and spend less time in my thinking chair.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Very nice tool cabinet, Robert. I have one similar but a lot less refined. I also only had a block plane when I made it but have about a half dozen or so different planes now. I think I'll wait until yours is complete and organized before planning another one. I can then steal all your ideas and spend less time in my thinking chair.
    Well the biggest thing I've found out real quick is the doors will not hold all my chisels, saws, etc.
    Going to see if an inside door is feasible.

More to come mocking up tool holders and layouts on interior door.
    Going to try something with magnets for the chisels and saws.
    I'll post a pic of the mockup for suggestions.

I already have one modification I'll be doing on tills.

Trying to figure out latches, too.

Yeah, spending plenty of time in the chair but got a new bluetooth speaker listening to the my 60's radio channel find my mind gets to wandering to better days than we seem to be having now.

When I'm working can't help but thinking what's happened to us? What's happened to our country and our politics. Corruption everywhere.
    My shop is my sanctuary.

Oh well that's another thread

Chisel rack finally done!

Using magnets, I came up the following design that will hold the chisels at a slight angle, allowing me to mount the racks a little closer so I could fit them all in.

I also modified the plane rack.

One mistake I made was not making the main part deeper. The plane rack is just a little higher angle than I wanted.
    I raised the right side creating another shelf which worked out well. That will show in the final pics.
    Another mistake was I should have made the carcase one piece and cut the doors out like a lid on a box.

Next up: right hand door storage for saws, etc.
    I have decided to make a double door on the right side with storage on both sides for squares, etc.
    The main part will have a saw till.

Toolcab10.jpg

Toolcab9.JPG

Toolcab8.JPG

Very nice, and thanks for showing us the process, plus what you think are mistakes.

What wood did you use - I can't make it out from the pictures.

Final Pics. The wood is basically scraps of QSWO and walnut. 1/2" maple ply for back and doors.
    The cork board on the door was a bit of an after thought. I'll probably put a piece of magnetic whiteboard above it.

ToolCabFin1.jpg
    ToolCabFin2.jpg
    ToolCabFin3.JPG
    ToolCabFin4.jpg

Blog Entries
    That thing is sweet. I just form fit my rack holes and skipped the magnets. I just used Forstner bits and made stepped holes appropriate for the taper of each maker's socket or ferrule. I did angle things and it has worked out very well. I think you are going to love that thing.

Plane Till (54).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is one fine tool cabinet! Makes me wish I had one like it.

A very good job on the tool cabinet. That should keep you organized for a while.

I also REALLY like that T&G pine on the shop wall.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln