Thread: Testing vinyl for Chloride

Testing vinyl for Chloride

Lots of threads about which vinyls do and do not have chloride in them (obviously PVC does). Does anyone know of a facility that will test vinyl for you? Like, to send them a swatch, and they burn it through a gas spectrometer to tell you what dangerous fumes might be coming off?

Basically a toxicology lab that wont cost $10K per sample? I have quite a bit of things to test.

Does anyone know if epoxy has dangerous fumes? It cuts great on my laser. What about cured 8lb density urethane foam? One of my laminate composites has a foam layer, and was curious as to its toxicity. My big question is testing clear EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate). Its a great binding resin in my composite laminates designed for laser cutting. It soots up my grid fairly well, so Im sure its not too healthy, but then again, so is a lot of plastics.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

You can do your own test for pvC - heat a copper wire to red hot and put a piece of the subject material on the wire. Put it back in the flame - it you get a green flame then there is C in it. Everything else can emit toxic fumes but with reasonable exhaust extraction they won't be a factor.

I forgot that test - read it in another thread, so I just tried it. Did it with PVC pipe as the control. Green flame for sure. Then I tried the white PSA vinyl that I want to use as masking - Green flame. Bummer, but I am elated to report that the EVA in my composite laminate that I make does not burn with any hint of green flame.

Unfortunately, that wont suffice on the MSDS sheet I am authoring. I need an actual test report in order to sell the laminate. But thanks a ton, Gary! This at least gives me encouragement that my last five years of R & D into my laserable laminate wont be stopped dead due to toxic fume emission.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Hi John,
    Last year someone told me 3M has a PVC free vinyl that should be okay to cut in the laser
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

If it's a commercial product then you are going to need that MasSpec report. Burning stuff on a copper wire, while useful, isn't anywhere near good enough for an MSDS. Other than Chlorines there are a hell of a lot of other potentially toxic fumes emitted by several plastics when subject to heat.
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Dave,

I understand Pons and Fleishman, of room temperature fusion fame, have moved their careers forward after that unfortunate miscalculation and are now developing a cold laser. The beam reportedly passes through ice cubes to reduce its heat until it reaches room temperature and can cut and engrave without actually heating up the subject material and eliminating any hazards that result from that heating.

If anyone is interested in buying in on the ground floor of this project let me know and we can point you to their kickstarter campaign. I believe they are located in the SODO area of Seattle, adjacent to a new laser building facility that is making a laser for Moms and Dads and children over 3 to use in their kitchen without any visible means of venting. I am also able to sell you acreage on the Florida coastal lowlands. You do need to sign a climate change waiver however.

<grin....have a great weekend everyone!>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.