Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leonard Lee - RIP

Unhappy Leonard Lee - RIP

We all owe an immense gratitude to Mr Lee for bringing us a multitude of great tools over the years.

RIP Sir!

llee.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I met Mr. Lee several times. At one point I approached him about opening a franchise operation in Vancouver. Unfortunately, that was about the time that he had problems with a franchise operation out West and decided to pull it all back to being owned and managed by the family so I was out of luck. We met several more times over the years and I was always impressed by his high standards and integrity. For all of his forward thinking on how to treat the customers and bringing back old tools done better, he was very much a traditionalist. Every employee of Lee Valley knew that his name was Mr. Lee. NOBODY called him Leonard twice!

In many respects we have him to thank for being able to buy real hand tools rather than tool-shaped objects. He will be sorely missed!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

To Rob Lee, the Lee Family and the LV Staff - please accept my condolences in this sad time. Your Dad set the standard for how to treat his customers and providing good value in all his products. We'll miss him too.

Sadly,
    Fred Skelly
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-07-2016 at 7:44 PM.

I had some conversations with Mr. Lee,and I sent him a White back saw. They were originally a bit crude,and so were our accurate repros! He sent me his book. I am sorry to hear that he is gone. My condolences to his family.

I never interacted with Leonard Lee, but his sharpening book was the first one I read that really "worked" for me, and he obviously built an incredibly organization and legacy.

My condolences to his family and colleagues.

Blog Entries
    My condolences to the Lee family and many friends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Condolences to all his loved ones - his efforts and accomplishments will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace Mr. Lee. My condolences to his family & friends.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I just saw this online too. My condolences go out to the Lee Family and Company members.
    Gary

I just read Mr Lee's bio. A truly accomplish man with a diverse interest in creating things that made a positive impact on many lives.
    Rob, may you and your family find comfort in the fact that he has enabled enjoyment for many for generations to come.

My situation is like Patrick's, I have his sharpening book but I never met him. He was a smart man. I would have liked to meet him.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I too wish to pass on my condolences to the Lee family and employees of LV.
    I am proud of what a fellow Canadian ( and fellow Saskatchewan native ) accomplished- a legacy to be proud of.
    Dave B

Blog Entries
    Rob and family, know that everyone here at SawMill Creek has you in our thoughts. We appreciate everything you and yours do to enhance our enjoyment of working with wood. Many of us feel a link to your family and company that goes beyond enjoying the tools. It is personal and we feel your loss.

What a rich and interesting life Leonard Lee lived! I am saddened with his death and hope that at this time his family can be together to celebrate his life and support each other in their loss.

I'm certain that in his retirement he took great pride in the ability of his children to carry on with his life's work and continue to build upon his vision.

To the Lee family and the Lee Valley-Veritas family I offer my sincerest condolences and prayers. Mr. Leonard Lee left a fine legacy for his family and his country. Too rarely are commercial acumen, altruism, and high ethical standards found in one person. Mr. Lee was one of those rare individuals. May he rest in peace.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH