Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chipmunks! How to get rid of them?

Chipmunks! How to get rid of them?

Long story short: We have a HUUUGE family of chipmunks that now live all around our house. I guess it keeps them safe from predators. They aren't cute anymore, causing a lot of damage to the lawn, shrubs, etc.

Ca anyone suggest the "best" way of eliminating them? I don't care about keeping them alive, though a quick death would be preferable to something nasty. (Anything is better than being eaten alive by an owl, I think.)

I'm actually considering a slingshot, followed by a baseball bat.

What doesn't work... My F-I-L used live traps on 'his' squirrels. Once caught, he hauled them miles to remote area for pardon & parole to their new wilderness home. And yes, the squirrel(s) got back to the house before he did.

Use a projectile weapon. Caliber, propellant, and muzzle velocity determined by proximity of neighbors who think they're cute. Air gun worked for my father.

I tried poison on skunks. Epic fail. Remington worked fine.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 07-08-2016 at 2:56 PM.

Allen, sent you a PM.

Peppermint oil has worked in my shop for the past two years. A few drops on a cotton ball in their hole. they can't stand it. It's also good for mice and moles. It really works. Just make sure the peppermint oil has a high concentration of menthol in it (mfg. in Japan is best). Keep putting it out and they will leave.
    Last edited by Joe Tilson; 07-09-2016 at 7:29 AM. Reason: wording
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Get a dog or a cat?

We used to have issues with squirrels chewing on stuff and destroying everything.

Now that we have a dog, he chews on stuff and destroys everything!

(but at least he is trainable and we are working on it....)
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I pop 'em with BB guns and slingshots but I suppose you could use mouse traps. Around here we call them "boomers" and dogs just hate them. I don't know why, maybe because of the noise they make, but don't let any dogs really get to looking for them or they'll tear your stuff up. Are you planning on eating them, I've never had chipmunk but I guess it ain't far from a squirrel.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

My dad used to swear by turpentine, in the old days we'd put garbage cans out for pickup the night before, and the neighborhood cats, racoons and whatever would have them tipped over before the garbage trucks showed up in the morning. He started pouring a little turpentine in the can, and that fixed the problem. Cheap to try!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Google pvc bait station. You can make it small for mice only, or a little bigger for mice and chipmunks.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Dcon or Tomcat mouse poison worked for me.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

A break barrel air rifle works great and the cost is pretty reasonable. They are relatively quiet and the cost of the pellets is minimal.

Regular old Victor mousetrap works fine for me. lol

0618161035.jpg

No joke, just happened a week or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Get a dog or a cat?

We used to have issues with squirrels chewing on stuff and destroying everything.

Now that we have a dog, he chews on stuff and destroys everything!

(but at least he is trainable and we are working on it....)
    That made me laugh out loud
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I fight this problem with the striped ground squirrels every year. I use "Better Rodentraps" by Intruder. They are plastic but work fine and recommended by the local feed store.

I bait them with peanut butter and bird seed pushed into it. I also wire them to a pole or stake as raccoons like a free meal and can take off with the traps.

I have a number of the traps and the first year got around 75. I get them out in the spring when I see the first o n e. It is a never ending battle but I live in the sticks. There is a mass graveyard of them over the back fence.

Good luck...you will need it

Blog Entries
    Get a TomCat black plastic snap trap (HD has them) and bait it with sunflower seeds, don't bother with peanut butter, you might attract squirrels. And get a box of 1 quart freezer zip lock's to use as body bags. Hold the trap over the bag, squeeze, bait again and on to the next one. Chipmunks are really easy to trap, they are very stupid.
    NOW you tell me...

I had a couple dozen of them running rampant around my house just a week ago. They'd literally run into you, and were way too nonchalant. They started getting into my garage and I had enough.

I simply used a have-a-hart trap and caught 6 in about 3 hours of trapping. I used sunflower seeds. I did this all with my 3 year old as I am not ready to have her see the cute little chipmunks go for a swim, so the live trap was the ticket. I "tagged" each one with some orange spray paint so we'd know if they came back, and walked each one about half mile away and let them go on the other side of a fairly busy road.

It's been very quiet since then.