Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chipmunks! How to get rid of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bernardo View Post
    Given that I live in a state that is increasingly paranoid about all kinds of stuff like this, I don't know anything. However, I do know of... uh... a friend in a neighboring state... who was fed up with the chipmunks digging under his patio, leaving trap-like sinking patio stones that would have broken Indiana Jones's neck (and spirit). From what I understand, the 'Rat Zapper,' baited with a little peanut butter on a bottle cap from a craft brew, is incredibly effective, and pretty cheap from Amazon. You know, that's what I heard. Not that I know or anything. Plus, the wife thinks they're cute.

A friend of mine, who lives in a remote village in Siberia, tells me that he's had success simply gluing an exposed 14 gauge wire inside a wooden box, dabbing some peanut butter in the end of the wire in-between the exposed leads, then plugging it into an outside socket.

Good thing he's in Siberia !

(BTW - I am becoming an expert on what does NOT catch chipmunks. It's truly unbelievable....)
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-31-2016 at 7:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    In my mind they are nothing but rats that have evolved with a cute exterior motif that seems to save them by wives and moms calling them too cute to execute.

Social Darwinism, right there.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-31-2016 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    A friend of mine, who lives in a remote village in Siberia, tells me that he's had success simply gluing an exposed 14 gauge wire inside a wooden box, dabbing some peanut butter in the end of the wire in-between the exposed leads, then plugging it into an outside socket.
    Haha - the Rat Zapper is a much safer version of that, but it's the real deal. It really does work. No fuss, either. Just set it, and when you see the blinking red light, go inspect your kill. It's easy enough that you might start to feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bernardo View Post
    Haha - the Rat Zapper is a much safer version of that, but it's the real deal. It really does work. No fuss, either. Just set it, and when you see the blinking red light, go inspect your kill. It's easy enough that you might start to feel bad.

^ Man, 55 bucks, and you have to constantly replace batteries.

I think 10' of wire, a few pieces of wood, and a circuit breaker should get it done. Maybe I'll use plexiglass, so I can watch them fry. Plus it would then be weather resistant. The only hard part will be designing a removable "business end" so it can easily be cleaned. Shouldn't be TOO hard to figure out.

Maybe I'll even design a multi-room unit: "Le Chateau Chipmorte."

Death. Sweet, sweet death !!!!!
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-01-2016 at 12:13 AM.

No kidding. I didn't look up the current price before I posted. Should have. I got it a couple of years ago for under $30. Batteries last a long time in it, actually. If you put it into CamelCamelCamel, I bet the price will drop to something more reasonable.

Try a Rat Zapper. I have a chipmunk problem and that is what I use. I kills them in less than 10 secs with no mess, easy to clean up, and you can reuse it. Here is a video on it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBzPNQ16zxg

Hi Allen, Try a Rat Zapper. I have a chipmunk problem and that is what I use. I kills them in less than 10 secs with no mess, easy to clean up, and you can reuse it. Here is a video on it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBzPNQ16zxg

FYI - chipmunks mate in April and July. You may want to put your traps out the beginning of April if you can.

9. Another area of my experience, not necessarily expertise.

I know that prairie dogs love bubble gum and cannot digest it once they eat it. Terminal constipation.

Packrats love cocoa powder, mix with a bit of sugar and portland cement. Same effect.

I have gotten between 20 and 25 of the striped ground squirrels this year.

Ditto on the Tomcat plastic traps from HD.....they work like a charm. I use peanut butter, never tried sunflower seeds. I caught 15 last year after they ate thru the garage weatherstripping, I'd had enough of their nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'd go with an air rifle rather than the slingshot. But that's because I'm terrible with a slingshot.

Just make sure you don't get Alvin, the chipmunk. The penalty is that the chipmunks will sing "Christmas, Christmas time is near, time for toys and time for cheer, etc" outside your window every night, for the rest of your life.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I partially inhaled/exhaled a mouthful of Earl Grey all over my desk.

Now I'll have that falsetto voice in my head all day.............Regards, Rod.