Thread: Rockwell 46-200 series lathe -- decipher picture!

Rockwell 46-200 series lathe -- decipher picture!

First, thanks for the millions of resources on this forum. I've learned a lot.

Now my question: Attached is a picture of a lathe I'm considering. It's a standard four speed Rockwell/Delta 46-200 series (no Reeves -- just a set of stepped pulleys) with a three phase motor. Came out of a cabinet shop. Yes, I know -- too many tailstocks. I'll be selling at least one of those.

There's an electrical box underneath the bed, mounted to the base, that has me a curious. Is that a variable frequency drive? When I do go inspect the lathe, how can I figure out what that box is? I've only read about VFDs, and never seen one "in the wild." If it's not a VFD, what else could it be?

rockwell.jpg

I have about a million questions about these VFDs. Can they only be used on 3 phase motors? Do they convert 3 phase into single phase? I only have single phase in my garage...

Looking at it, I'd say most likely it's just a magnetic contactor (relay) that energizes to place 3 phase power to the motor.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! So, what is that -- what does that mean?

Looks like a starter. Definitely not a VFD.

Yep, it looks a lot like the contactor box on my 3ph engine lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's making sense. I looked up magnetic relay and sure enough they were added to these lathes.

Now the next question -- do I need it?

Yes, if you're planning on keeping it 3ph and use a phase converter. The power from my 3ph converter goes directly into that box.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you use a rotary phase converter it can go to that box. If you use a VFD there should be nothing between it and the motor.

Looks like a low voltage control (LVC) station which includes a motor starter. The lvc has a small transformer which only sends low voltage dc to the on/off switch. Schools wanted lvc on shop machines to protect the kids.

That's a pretty good lathe, I put a VFD on one and its equal or better than many new lathes. The motor is way down in the base which adds stability but the long belt adds a little vibration. Also Delta machined the spindle without a step which may add a little extra run out when using a chuck.
    Larry

The magnetic starter would be required in schools and commercial shops. It acts as a safety device in case of a power outage. When the power comes back on if the lathe was running it won't start again until the "ON" button is pushed. This is in contrast to a simple mechanical switch that will still be on when the power is restored.

At one time I lived in a semi-rural area where power outages were common in the winter. Working in the shop in the evening the lights would go out. Usually we'd go to bed and hope the power was restored by morning. Next morning going out to shop the lights would be on and a machine or two might be running. After a couple times like that we always made sure everything was turned off before leaving the dark shop.

You pull out that contactor/relay thing and toss it in the garbage. Put a VFD/inverter in it's place rated for the HP of the 3-phase motor. Get a model that uses single phase input, either 220 single phase or 110 single phase. The 220 ones are a little cheaper. Consult with an electric motor shop if you have one nearby. All the modern lathes with electronic variable speed are set up this way. It's not rocket science and you can find plenty of info on the web how to set it up.

Jason, yes, I'm not set up to run a 3 phase motor so I have to do some kind of conversion. A vfd makes the most sense. The videos online are really helpful.

Doug, I like the idea of that magnetic starter. I am deeply forgetful and can't imagine remembering to unplug a machine if the power goes out.

Hey Larry, what does "a little extra run out when using a chuck" mean.

This was a tricky purchase. I ended up throwing in a slab of black walnut, a Stanley 5 1/2, a no. 4, and a spokeshave to get the price to affordable (for me).

Hello,

@Edward, did you ever buy the lathe?

Asking because I just purchased a Delta 46-200 with partial messed up tail-stock and wanted to see if you were going to sale any parts of those extra tailstock/s.

Thank you,
    Brandon