Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

You may want to double check your clearance requirements for the vfd. Maybe mount the power supplies both on edge.Also don't forget any space needed for the mount of connectors inside the enclosure that get passed through. Wire trough really cleans up wiring as does din rail and din connectors. Is that the ESS in the picture? Where is the BOB after the ESS?

An example of din and wire trough

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You may want to double check your clearance requirements for the vfd. Maybe mount the power supplies both on edge.Also don't forget any space needed for the mount of connectors inside the enclosure that get passed through. Wire trough really cleans up wiring as does din rail and din connectors. Is that the ESS in the picture? Where is the BOB after the ESS?
    Yours looks nice! Yes, that's an ESS but it's got the C25S terminal board from CNC4PC so I had not planned to use a BOB. I am familiar with DIN but doubt I'll go that route. And I am still considering whether or not to use Panduit...

I do need to double check the clearance requirements on the VFD - thanks!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

We've been out of town moving my daughter to New Orleans and I'm still waiting on a couple of things before I start wiring, but I did manage to build the little platform mount for the 5V power supply. I'll get the holes drilled and tapped in the aluminum angle so I can mount the power supply but have to wait before committing to placement on the panel until the other things come in. Also, I'm starting a project with some beautiful Curly Maple and Walnut so I'll be bouncing back and forth between getting this wired up and doing some woodworking.

David

That is a sharp idea, nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    That is a sharp idea, nice work.
    Thanks, Ed! Just like in real estate, when you're land locked you have to go up - right!
    David

I think, from the visual in the picture, if you had gone with the smaller unit on the bottom and the larger on top, your brackets would have been simplified, no notching for clearance.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    I think, from the visual in the picture, if you had gone with the smaller unit on the bottom and the larger on top, your brackets would have been simplified, no notching for clearance.
    There's no fun in that - where's the challenge, the chance to show off some 'major' metalworking skills... LOL!

Thanks, Brian! You are correct, btw, it would have been easier.
    David

I may actually have all the components I need now to wire this up but in the meantime I decided to test my submersible water pump. It seemed fitting to do a little video so that's what I did and you may find it lightly entertaining, at my expense of course...

David

It's time to wire the panel but I wanted to make certain there would be sufficient airflow on the stepper drivers, in particular the Z and future A (rotary axis) since they aren't right in front of the fan. This is a simple little test but it validates what I thought it would be like so the next step is laying out the hole placement for the components and then drilling/tapping for a bunch of 6-32 screws.

David

I had some meetings today so I didn't get very far on the CNC build but I did manage to print the component layout and get it taped to the back panel. Yes, I realize this may be a bit over the top and yes I am a bit anal but this is just the way I like to do things...

With this printed and taped to the panel all I have to do now is drill where indicated, so even though it took a little time to draw this to scale and print it now my job is much easier. Plus, this gave me the opportunity for optimum placement without interference between components.

One thing necessary was to make certain the switches didn't interfere with the PSU's or VFD since those come close to the door. But I drew these to scale, as well, and then opened and closed the door to verify nothing would hit on the inside.

Looking down from the top of the electrical enclosure with the door closed (PSU's and VFD are the dashed lines) -

And with the door open -

Thanks for reading and following - more later!
    David
    David

In preparation for drilling and tapping all the holes in the back panel I realized I had yet to drill the holes in the brackets for the 5V power supply. Simple task, right? Just stick it in the vise and drill 5/32" holes in the aluminum - a veritable walk in the park. Unless you don't clamp the vise very tight...

Oops! Drill bit grabbed and slung this across the room -

But I straightened it out, polished the new character marks out, and shot some lacquer on both pieces -

Lots of holes drilled and tapped, ready for components -

Components mounted -

More to come!
    Thanks for following,
    David
    David

Wink

So, David, when will the repairs to your hand be "straightened out?"

PS. Been there, done that!
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    So, David, when will the repairs to your hand be "straightened out?"

PS. Been there, done that!
    Close, Paul, oh so close! I actually gave a moment of thought to holding the bracket in my hand to drill the small hole. Not one of my brighter moves either way - LOL!
    David

I think it looks awesome. Great job!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.