Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

I've been making up cables for a good part of the afternoon but started by mounting the enclosure on the stand so I could get the proper lengths of the stepper and proximity cables. So the enclosure is mounted temporarily but will come off later so I can configure the VFD, the Ethernet SmoothStepper, and Mach4. It'll be so much easier to program the VFD with it on the bench (table saw) instead of having to squat down and manage this.

Getting closer -
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Well, it was a LOT of work to arrive at this point of completing the stepper motor and proximity sensor connectors but I managed to finish this in one day - fast for me! Lots of soldering and shrink wrapping; tomorrow I'll double check each connector for continuity to the end of the cable and to the drivers and relays on the inside of the cabinet. It'll never be easier than now to fix something that isn't making good contact.

Stepper motors, red; Proximity sensors, blue -
    David

David, you've got some great technical and engineering skills. Looks good.

Like you said check and double check, "Pin 1 goes to pin 1 and is power positive." People around me used to think I was nuts talking to myself while putting equipment together, but mine worked the first time power came on. It's worth the effort.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    David, you've got some great technical and engineering skills. Looks good.

Like you said check and double check, "Pin 1 goes to pin 1 and is power positive." People around me used to think I was nuts talking to myself while putting equipment together, but mine worked the first time power came on. It's worth the effort.
    Thanks, Paul!! I drew all of this up in CorelDRAW for pinouts and schematic and have it in front of me while I'm working to reduce any complacency tendencies but today is my opportunity to see how well I followed 'the plan'. After more than 6 hours of this yesterday and last night I realized that on the penultimate connector I soldered a white wire on top of a red wire and didn't notice it until I was ready to button it all up. But I caught it so it wasn't a mistake and only took a minute to correct. If I hadn't caught it then it would be a mistake! LOL!

Here are my 'cheat sheets' for these connections (I'll post the schematic when all has been proven to work, don't want to put out a wiring diagram with flaws) - btw, I realize the panel and plug should be mirrors of each other but for simplicity I just kept the same pattern on my drawing.

Proximity sensors -

Stepper motors, drivers -
    David

Well, like so many other times in the shop I started out intending to test all of the cables I made up yesterday but instead ran the power lines so I could test the 240V side of the electrical system. While I had the enclosure mounted on the stand I measured for the 120V cord and cut that because I have 120V on my test bench for power but left the long remaining cord for running over to the 240V plug on the wall. I'll trim that to the proper length when I have everything mounted on the machine.

This doesn't look like much progress but it took a while to get the cords run correctly inside the box such that nothing hit or rubbed when the door opens or closes. Either way the cords needed to be run but I still need to test the cables for continuity and shorts, of which I don't really think there are any, and then connect the stepper motors and proximity sensors for testing and initial setup. We have band practice after church tonight so I probably won't get a chance to do much more when I get home.

Completed wiring on door -

Powered up and VFD on -

VFD closeup -
    David

Short video of powering up with both 120V and 240V –

David

In checking my cables I found a problem with the very first one I tested - but it wasn't the cable. Rather, it was the connector on the side of the box. I had already checked these when I put them in and before I cleaned up the wiring inside the box. But it had a broken solder joint and I just couldn't see how this would have happened until I fixed it and put the connector back in; turns out I probably broke it loose with the 3/4" open end wrench when I tightened all of these down after cleaning up the wiring. Because it's so tight right in that area I noticed that the wrench, if I'm not careful, will apply pressure to the terminals. Fortunately it wasn't that difficult to remove and repair and get back into place, tightening carefully this time...

David

Looking good Dave
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Looking good Dave
    Thanks, John!!
    David

It's about time this looked different!! I'm ready to begin programming the ESS and connecting stepper motors and proximity sensors for testing and setup. I'll start fresh tomorrow and see how far I get before reaching out to someone for assistance although several people have already sent me files to get me started and that's a great big help!

The photo on the screen is one I took of Tenaya Lake in Yosemite NP in 2009 -
    David

Finally labeled the side panel so I can put things in their proper place - can't tell the players without a program!! Now I need to figure out how I want to label the cables...

David

Tomorrow I hope to get far enough in setting up Mach4 to be able to test the motors. Here's my 'bench' setup for testing -

David

David, I used thermal printer with clear shrink, but that may be too late for your cables.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    David, I used thermal printer with clear shrink, but that may be too late for your cables.
    I had not thought about clear shrink tubing, Paul - great idea!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Still a fan of the Eco Mate plugs/recepticals. Used them on the enclosure too.

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...mate-c016/2185
    Mike - specifically which plug do you use on the spindle? My spindle is a 3kW, 4 HP and I'd like to go ahead and order one of these.
    Thanks!
    David
    David