Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

It's been a couple of days since I posted my progress on the build but I haven't been idle, not even close. I just didn't want to bore y'all with small steps so here's a significant advance in progress - all stepper and proximity panel mount connectors are complete! If you've never done this I can tell you it takes a while, especially if you plan on doing it neatly and with attention to detail and consistency. Even if you do this all the time it still takes a while. I think the bread wrapper twist ties are a nice touch but when I finally get the wiring finished I'll go with something more traditional like nylon tie wraps.

Steppers on the left, proximity on the right (upper and lower when the enclosure is mounted) -

Outside of the enclosure, still have a few left to do -

Lights off in the shop and powered up - all looks good at this point!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

This is going to be one slick home built!
    What's your guess on when you'll be cutting chips?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Two weeks, maybe...?? I should finish the enclosure this weekend but then I still have to mount it, run the stepper, spindle, and proximity cabling, run the water lines, mount the spoil board, build a cart for the computer... ok, three weeks. Glad you like it, Bruce!
    David

Forgot about configuring Mach4... never done that, either. I'll be up and running this year, for sure!!
    David

I don't know anything about Mach4 but I can't imagine you will have much trouble figuring it out.
    My machine runs on WinCNC and the basics are pretty straight forward.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I don't know anything about Mach4 but I can't imagine you will have much trouble figuring it out.
    My machine runs on WinCNC and the basics are pretty straight forward.
    That makes two of us, Bruce. I don't know anything about Mach4, either...
    David

I thought with all the soldering I'm doing on this CNC build and have done through the years, coupled with some friends who've told me they have issues with soldering, that I would do a Public Service Video. Disclaimer - I am not claiming to be an expert or in any way 'the' soldering guru nor have I covered every facet of soldering but I have been doing a good job at it for over 40 years so with that out of the way, here's my slightly over 9 minute video. I hope this helps any who may have issues with this little task. Kudos to you for watching the entire video!

David

I shot a quick video tonight testing the fans and components powered up - sounds cool to me!

David

I thought it would be good to see how much current draw I had before connecting the stepper motors. Everything is now wired inside the panel except the VFD and connections for the E-Stop switches. Current draw at this point is about 0.5 amp and after 10 minutes of running everything was cool inside the box (as I expected it to be).

The E-Stop switch connections will be next and then the VFD. I'm debating whether to pull the stepper motors off the machine and bench test them all at once. I'll probably do that because I mounted them just to make sure everything worked correctly for rack & pinion tension and that everything lined up for the mounting. They all need to come back off so I can use thread lock on them anyway so I'll probably bench test them. That will be a good opportunity to begin setting up the ESS and Mach4.

Here's the short video of testing the current draw -
    David

I had a little time tonight after church to begin cleaning up the wiring and started with the door, hopefully I'll get the rest of it tomorrow. The incoming power lines to the switch and ground are temporary and will be similarly secured when the time comes to run those lines.

David

Well, it didn't take long for me to decide the first cleaning up of wiring on the door wasn't up to par, so I redid it this morning. I think this looks much better and doesn't have the couple of wires hanging loosely around the switches. One thing I did was to replace the connectors on the start button with right angle versions so they don't stick so far down into the enclosure when the door is closed. They weren't in danger of hanging on anything but I just didn't care for the way they looked. Also, I cleaned up the wiring on the panel so except for the 240V and VFD it looks like the wiring is complete.

Just for curiosity I powered this up and let it run almost two hours so I could check the temperature of components and there's wasn't enough rise in temp to even notice - about 2° in some places. I'm certain this will change when I connect stepper motors and the spindle to the VFD, though.

Improved door wiring -

Completed wiring except for 240V and VFD -
    David

My plan was to use a 5-pin connector for the spindle cable so that if I needed to disconnect it then it would be easy. As I began to prepare for doing that this evening I quickly got to the point where I no longer liked that solution for several reasons: 1) lots of extra work trying to make that large cable fit in the tiny 5-pin connector (which is actually too small - the aviation connectors are just right for 18 AWG wire and this is 14 AWG), 2) extra opportunity for noise to enter the picture, and 3) I planned to use the 5-pin connector in the event I need to disconnect the spindle from the enclosure.

The likelihood that I'll need to disconnect the spindle often is low so if I have to then I'll undo the connections at the VFD or on the connector at the spindle.

Fortunately I didn't have to remove anything to enlarge the hole. It was already drilled 5/8" for the aviation connector so I just centered my Greenlee punch and made a larger hole. In the end I think this will work much better.

David

Still a fan of the Eco Mate plugs/recepticals. Used them on the enclosure too.

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...mate-c016/2185
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Still a fan of the Eco Mate plugs/recepticals. Used them on the enclosure too.

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...mate-c016/2185
    I like those also, Mike. Started to order some but at this point I need to get up and running. Those are on my 'upgrade' list, for sure! Thanks for the link!
    David

I had originally planned to pull the motors off and just hook the leads directly into the drivers for testing but decided instead to go ahead and make up the cables with connectors and that way I can test everything – electronics, system, software, motors, and my cables. I’ll still pull the motors off for bench testing but now I’ll be using the actual cables to which they’ll be connected (I have to pull the motors off anyway to put thread lock on the mounting bolts). At the pace I work and as detailed and OCD as I am that means most of the day soldering and shrink wrapping connections but it has to be done anyway so might as well be now.

120' of 18/4 shielded cable cut and ready for connectors and soldering onto motor/sensor lead wires (I borrowed the kitchen floor for measuring) -
    David