Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

When Mark says: " If someone could design a static shoe that would have 90%+ pickup cutting panel products (ply or melamine) full depth (3/4") at high feed speeds (600ipm), they would lock up the market."

With a chuckle, I disagree

This one did pick up very well, sometimes too well, as leaving dust in the kerf aids vacuum hold down.

From 2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNOwXWgFgb4 sold 30 copies, then died.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    When Mark says: " If someone could design a static shoe that would have 90%+ pickup cutting panel products (ply or melamine) full depth (3/4") at high feed speeds (600ipm), they would lock up the market."

With a chuckle, I disagree

This one did pick up very well, sometimes too well, as leaving dust in the kerf aids vacuum hold down.

From 2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNOwXWgFgb4 sold 30 copies, then died.
    I've seen that one gary. And that's the shoe I want. I'll deal with the hold down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    There's a gentleman named Paul Krause paulkrausellc.com who was working on an interesting shoe design. I don't know where he's at with it now.
    The inside of it is contoured much like the yellow badge on the side.
    I've been toying with that very idea - might know someone has already done it! LOL! But I will still develop what I have and give it a shot.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

This isn't really a part of the build (which is basically complete) but it also wasn't worth starting a new thread.

I needed a drying rack with rectangular holes to hold some parts after I spray them and it was an ideal time to try out the full length of the CNC machine. This was a very simple project but since it was the first time to use the extent of the machine's length I shot a short video. Enjoy!

David

This isn't much of a task but it needed to be done and today was a good day for me to do this, so I shot a video to post as well. The grid is a simple light cut into the spoilboard and is 1" spacing up to 12" and 3" spacing after that. I also cut some reference marks to help with placement of the work piece on the spoilboard.

David

VCarve Pro or Aspire. There is still some head scratching.. why did it make that move! but it's minimal.
    What is the purpose of the grid?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    VCarve Pro or Aspire. There is still some head scratching.. why did it make that move! but it's minimal.
    What is the purpose of the grid?
    Just to help me with lining up work pieces on the spoilboard, Bruce. I always measure from the edge of the spoilboard to make sure my work piece is square to the table and I figured this would make that easier. Plus, it gave me an opportunity to cut at 400 ipm, even though I was only cutting about 0.020" deep.
    David

I did the grid thing early on and found it less than ideal. I drilled the spoil board with two rows of 1/4" dowel pin holes in the X & Y axis. I simply slip a couple of precision dowels into the holes, draw the material blank up to them and clamp it down. The material is dead nuts square to the axis and its location is repeatable if you're cutting multiple pieces, or you need to remove it to detail paint before final machining, etc. I remove the dowels before any cutting.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a very good idea! I may borrow that. Thanks, Bruce.
    David

I do the same thing. I bought some very nice precision dowels on Amazon for less than $10. You may have to play around to get the hole diameter correct for a tight fit. Keep in mind too that the work may shift around a bit when securing it to the table.

Tony