Thread: Stuart Batty Skew

Stuart Batty Skew

As mentioned in another post I just purchased a Stuart Batty 1" skew and carbon fiber handle. The skew I was using previously was smaller and as I'm now finding out a lot duller. I practiced a little with the new tool this morning and was amazed how much a difference a good sharp tool makes. The tool attaches to the handle in a unique way in that it screws into the handle for quick and easy tool changes. The salesperson also pointed out that the handle is made so as not to roll around on a lathe bed, apparently a feature that is a problem with turned wood handles. A different version of the tool was also pointed out to me where the cutting blade is laminated into a non-hardened steel holder. I didn't get one but thought it was a good idea. It should cut down the overall cost of tool replacement. I'm sure this is all old news to most of you but being a novice turner it was all new to me.

Yes, and the sharp one will be dull tomorrow. Use that keen edge as the standard to keep on achieving and improving. I'm sure Stuart Batty has a video out there that show how he sharpens them.

That laminated version looks great. I assume what I am seeing is the softer stainless steel on the outside with the harder CPM 10V steel in the center. Ultra hardness sandwiched inside softer and tougher steel. Then as you sharpen, it keeps on presenting the same mix.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!