Thread: Engraving Gun Stocks, and Wood

Engraving Gun Stocks, and Wood

I have been looking into engraving wood gunstocks and wood. I was looking at the shopbot products and the Camaster line. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions on either?pistolgrip.jpgriflestock.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas Margula; 07-10-2016 at 4:34 PM.

Maybe you should be in the CNC heading. Having said that, I have run both. CamMaster is the heaver build machine, SB a bit less costly. Both are top notch, both have great support, Both are great machines and companies. Can go wrong with ether as your CNC machine.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Thomas,

I moved your thread to the CNC Forum based on your questions.

There are people here who both CNC route and laser engrave gun stocks. Either of the two techniques can be used with incredible results and both of the companies that you mentioned manufacture excellent CNC machines. My first router was a ShopBot, my current machine is a CAMaster. Both companies are constantly improving their machines and both reliable commercial quality routers.

I suggest that you search the Engravers Forum for threads about engraving gun stocks as well. I know that Mike Null has been successful engraving gun stocks and there are probably others.

I have a Shopbot, and know others who have a CamMaster. Both are excellent machines which can do what you're looking to do.

I'm partial to my Shopbot, but that's probably because I'm much more familiar with it than my friends CamMasters. Keep in mind that with Shopbot, you'll need to supply a control computer - I believe the CamMaster bundles a control computer with theirs, so keep that in mind when comparing prices. That said - my control computer is a reconditioned old machine I paid less than $100.00 for - it runs Windows XP, and is equipped with an old 3 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, and 1 Gb of RAM. The ONLY thing it does is control the Shopbot - I do my design work (CAD/CAM) on my main computer in my office.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.