Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on Jointer Choice

Help on Jointer Choice

I've narrowed it down to the Oliver 12" (model 4260) Parallelogram Jointer or the Grizzly 12" (model G9860ZX) Parallelogram Jointer. Both have helical cutterheads, and from what I can gather both are Taiwanese built machines. The Oliver has a Baldor motor and the Grizzly motor is unspecified. The Grizzly is around $800.00 cheaper, with a slightly shorter overall bed (which is actually a plus for me), and about 500 lbs less - another plus.

I was really hoping for a Minimax FS41 Classic, but for various reasons that's not in the cards - please don't ask, it has nothing to do with Minimax. Anyway, I'm leaning toward the Grizzly, but the Baldor motor on the Oliver is nudging me in their direction.

Thanks!

There's a lot of grizzly tool owners on his site.I doubt anyone will suggest the Oliver but me.Baldor motor and longer tables are more important than the saving.
    But wow a whole 800 sure wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    There's a lot of grizzly tool owners on his site.I doubt anyone will suggest the Oliver but me.Baldor motor and longer tables are more important than the saving.
    But wow a whole 800 sure wouldn't want to be in your shoes.
    The shipping for the Oliver may reduce the savings a bit (haven't checked), but yeah the Baldor motor is a big push for me. The difference in tables is about 8 inches, and shorter is better for me, but 8 inches isn't going to to put me over the edge.

I had a 8 inch Oliver. With a Oliver HH head it was 3 inch diameter 6 rows of nine inserts.Total 54 inserts.Its motor was not a Baldor and was very noisy after several years.
    It cut nice but I like straight knives better.
    How many inserts does the bear have?

84. The Oliver has 44. Good catch!

Blog Entries
    Sparsely populated insert heads can be suboptimal. Do the cutter paths overlap well? Just thinking out loud. I have a few Grizzly badged 2and3HP motors that have been running for years without issue.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had the Griz 0609X--12"er-- for several years and it is a great machine. Not sure of the differences with the 9860ZX, but the 0609X is a real workhorse. I mill lots of rough stock @ the full 12"es and there is plenty of power from their standard motor--3hp I think. nice long beds as well. Of course now I want a 16"er!!

One factor to consider is which company is most likely to go out of business. I bought a 16 inch joiner from Wilke, a Bridgewood, and they went out of business less than a year later. And this was a company that of been around a long time. The new Oliver has been out for a while now but I think they would be more likely to go out of business that grizzly. Thing you want is parts 10-15 years from now..both machines look great. I think you will be happy with either one.

I agree with this logic and apply it to my own purchase process. It's strange to live in a world where Grizzly is a stalwart in the industry....but then again the same logic would've made Delta look like a winner 10 years ago and look at the miserable death they suffered!

Anyway if you prefer the lower weight and the shorter beds AND it's $800 less then to me I think you should go with Grizzly. In gets you more of the things you want and keeps money in your pocket.

I keep looking at those new Oliver machines too though...
    Last edited by Marc Burt; 07-11-2016 at 7:53 AM. Reason: Dang autocorrect

Other things being equal.. the motor choice may come down to your expectations about the machine's duty cycle and probable longevity in your working environment. If this is the key issue for you, why not contact both companies and ask them what the their motors are designed to handle?

(P.S.I'd bet they're about the same.)

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

Glen - It looks like the Grizzly cutters overlap much better than the Oliver.

John - I had considered the 0609X first, but being made in China in a non-ISO 9001 factory makes me nervous. It's far less of a crapshoot with the Z-series and their Taiwanese, ISO 9001 origins. Just the idea of having to hassle with potential quality-control issues is something I'll pay to avoid.

Robin - Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Marc - Yep.... I was looking for someone to give me a good reason to choose the Oliver over the Grizzly.

rudy - Great idea. Thank you!

I think you are on your own here. The things you really need to know on a jointer, rating of the cast iron, specifications for how far out of flat, quality of motor, bearings, electricals, etc will not get answered until you tear down each machine or find someone who has. My motor guy can tell me in two minutes how good a motor is but I'm still clueless and I've bought and rehabbed dozens of machines. Whatever you buy, check it over, put a good long straightedge on the tables, see if it keeps its settings when you dump a timber you can barely lift and you will learn what is important to you. There are good and bad examples of every model made so it is a crap shoot unless you can see and test what you are buying. If it makes wood flat you are golden. Dave

Huh I'm surprised David,You didn't tell the Op to buy a used machine.
    Are you feeling ok?

I was going to myself but I give up and gave in go with the flow.

Aj

I have a 12" DJ30 Delta jointer with straight knives made that was in Taiwan. It has an Asian motor and straight knives with no idea what kind of cast iron and it was shipped to me sight unseen and its 3phase (I put a FM50 TECO VFD on it). ITS AMAZING!! You wont loose in either of those choices. Id go Grizzly personally. I keep looking at the Oliver WBS and cant see a reason to buy it over a Grizzly or ShopFox if I decide to buy an Asian WBS.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

[QUOTE=Andrew Hughes;2583171]Huh I'm surprised David,You didn't tell the Op to buy a used machine.
    Are you feeling ok?

I was going to myself but I give up and gave in go with the flow.

I have a 166 in storage so that would have been tacky. Mike, the DJ 30 was originally an Invicta before moving to Taiwan and a solid machine. A step up from the Oliver ( Sunhill ). Dave