Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Freehand curve cut on a tablesaw?

Ahh the extremes argument. Always a winner.

"...decide for ourselves..."

With the possible exception of table saw kickback. It is not intuitive for novice users who may wish to remodel their own home after watching some show.

It is not inherently obvious that free hand cutting the edge of a thicker piece may be safer than flimsy plywood. It is not intuitively obvious that even light materials can develop serious enough force to cause injury or to scare you so bad that your hand slips into an unguarded blade.

I am trying to see this through the eyes of my daughter not my mentors at smc.

I have cut curves on a table saw...but they were unintentional and usually ended up hitting me in the belly!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It is not inherently obvious that free hand cutting the edge of a thicker piece may be safer than flimsy plywood. It is not intuitively obvious that even light materials can develop serious enough force to cause injury or to scare you so bad that your hand slips into an unguarded blade.
    I think you nailed the issue. If I hadn't seen what Tom was cutting, and how he cut it, but only heard that he "freehand cut on the Tsaw", then I think I would be part of the crowd that says that freehand cutting is always bad - never try it. However, he was NOT cutting down the middle of a badly honeycombed 2 x 10 in which the internal stress will bind and kick back. Nor was he cutting along a scribe line down the MIDDLE of plywood, etc, which is asking for kickback. He was edge cutting. I do that routinely on crooked rough sawn prior to jointing, becuase I'd have to set the jointer to 1/4" depth and run ten passes just to get it semi straight, so I often snap a line and free hand to the line, then flip that edge against the fence to parallel it. Did that alot before I had the $ for Jointer.

So I think folks really need to judge this specific type of cut, not the general, all encompassing "Freehanding". I have often shown new workers of mine (with minimal tsaw experience) how to free hand on my T-saw for simple edge straightening, as long as they are not taking off more than 1/2".
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.