Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Considering a jointer

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    FWIW, I'm relatively small (compared to many woodworkers, anyway) and also not as strong/in good shape as I used to be; I use an LN No. 7 with no trouble (as long as I can get my arms over the tool to use my legs for most of the necessary force...which means a bench low enough to allow that). When I use a No. 8, I do tire more quickly. But because my jack does the majority of any stock removal, I'm not typically using the heavier jointer for very long.
    Megan makes an very important point.

Getting the work at the ideal height, and positioning you body at the proper angles, is a lot more important than which plane you choose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Megan makes an very important point.

Getting the work at the ideal height, and positioning you body at the proper angles, is a lot more important than which plane you choose.
    My thought is toward - more important no matter which plane you choose. -. Especially when you get a bit older and have to contend with the aches and pains of experience.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    You could consider a wooden jointer!
    And that is what has happened.

LATEST SIGHTING

SAW SHARPENING BOOK

MB
    PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS! SEE THEM ALL ON OUR MARKETPLACE PAGE

Search My Profile FAQs Messages Archives Password?

Return to Index Reply Read Responses

Subject:
    Re: Considering a jointer
    Posted By:
    Johanna
    Date:
    7/15/2016, 3:41 pm
    Response To:
    Re: Considering a jointer (Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia))

In the end, I received the most wonderful surprise - one of our number offered to give me a jointer plane made by David Finck! I am really looking forward to it.
    All in all this has been a great thread - lots of excellent comments here and on SMC. Many thanks to all of you who responded.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

LATEST SIGHTING

SAW SHARPENING BOOK

MB
    PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS! SEE THEM ALL ON OUR MARKETPLACE PAGE

Search My Profile FAQs Messages Archives Password?

Return to Index Reply Read Responses

Subject:
    Re: Considering a jointer
    Posted By:
    Johanna
    Date:
    7/15/2016, 3:41 pm
    Response To:
    Re: Considering a jointer (Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia))

In the end, I received the most wonderful surprise - one of our number offered to give me a jointer plane made by David Finck! I am really looking forward to it.
    All in all this has been a great thread - lots of excellent comments here and on SMC. Many thanks to all of you who responded.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Johanna,

The thing you will read about the BU planes, is that because of the lower angel of attack, the BU planes are a little more prone to tear out on wild grain. They are a bit lighter than the BD jointers, however. The BU jointers, however, are better on end grain, so are ideal for shooting boards.

I do have to add to be fair, however, that I do not have a BU jointer, only block planes that are BU. I do love my block planes, however, and use them quite a bit.

Stew
    If you use a 55 degree iron in the bevel up plane you can control tear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Johanna,

The thing you will read about the BU planes, is that because of the lower angel of attack, the BU planes are a little more prone to tear out on wild grain. They are a bit lighter than the BD jointers, however. The BU jointers, however, are better on end grain, so are ideal for shooting boards.

I do have to add to be fair, however, that I do not have a BU jointer, only block planes that are BU. I do love my block planes, however, and use them quite a bit.

Stew
    I have a BU Jack (Veritas) and I'd disagree. While a low angle blade will give you issues with tear out, you have the option of multiple blades (or grind angles) that will handle anything. This includes LA block planes like a 60 1/2. In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd gone with all BU planes. A Smoother, Jack, and Jointer would cover everything I'd need as far as bench planes.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.