Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Loupe

New Loupe

It is hard to get excited about Loupes, you look through one ?X loupe you've looked through just about all of 'em. Well maybe not. The local Woodcraft had a box of cheap loupes they said one of the customers insisted they carry. What the heck I drop more than $10 USD's out of my pocket getting in the truck most mornings.

Anyway I'm a sucker for cheap stuff. Once home and trying it I found it had two lens, one 30X22mm, the other 60X12mm both lit and the biggest surprise both usable. Most loupes I've tried over 10X are close to impossible to use. I wish it had a brand name but no joy.

BTW, I used it tonight to check the finish on a O-1 chisel I honed on the JNats. At 60X brings home just how incredible a HC iron can be finished on a JNat. Not a rouge scratch anywhere, no reflection on the cutting edge, and a beautiful semi-matt finish on the bevel and back. I can't wait to take the chisel to wood.

ken
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-15-2016 at 4:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    What is that old saying about no pictures, it didn't happen...

I can't wait to take the chisel to wood.
    That is always why one of my sharpening tests for a chisel is a piece of wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What is that old saying about no pictures, it didn't happen...

That is always why one of my sharpening tests for a chisel is a piece of wood.

jtk
    So true Jim but kinda hard to take a photo through a 60X12mm lens , and you need to to show the refinement of the edge as well as how good the cheap loupe is. That said, Brian did a pretty good job showing the difference between stones a few days ago without resorting to high magnification. I need to take lessons.

I try to not "test" edges and just look and feel for sharpness but every once in awhile the song of the sharpening gods can't be dismissed and I break my chains from the mast, lose some arm hair and/or dig out a hunk EWP. When I do it sure is satisfying.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    So true Jim but kinda hard to take a photo through a 60X12mm lens , and you need to to show the refinement of the edge as well as how good the cheap loupe is. That said, Brian did a pretty good job showing the difference between stones a few days ago without resorting to high magnification. I need to take lessons.

I try to not "test" edges and just look and feel for sharpness but every once in awhile the song of the sharpening gods can't be dismissed and I break my chains from the mast, lose some arm hair and/or dig out a hunk EWP. When I do it sure is satisfying.

ken
    It must be my technician background of testing everything.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    60x is pretty nice out of a standard loop!

I've been pining for one of these;

pkuwaidosuko-pu.jpg
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'll admit that I have NEVER SEEN or heard of a 60X LOUPE. Are you talking about a loupe or a MICROSCOPE? I have a little tubular hand held 30x microscope. Angular end. Touch the end of the angle on the object and tilt the microscope to focus it.

It has a .001" scale in the lens,which is useful for measuring the depth of fine threads,etc..

Mentioning that,I had bought this microscope at a flea market(or some such). TEN MONTHS later,I got my $10.00 check returned,with a nasty note that they couldn't cash it because I closed the account. I sent them ANOTHER check,with a nasty note of my own,asking what kind of IDIOTS wait 10 months to cash a check!! I had had to close that account for some reason.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-12-2016 at 9:48 AM.

Just two weeks ago I bought a small microscope, the kind that you plug into a USB port and look at your computer screen. It's great and cheap.

Second picture is a calibration line which is 0.1mm wide and third picture is a sharpened blade on translucent Arkansas.

44308_Handheld_Digital_Microscope_Pro_1.jpeg0.1mm wide line.jpgArkansas stone.jpg
    Last edited by Normand Leblanc; 07-12-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Here is a photo of the top of the loupe:

One of the bottom showing the LED lights:

I am still coming to terms on how serious some of you guys take your sharpening techniques; loupes, microscopes; spread sheets. Does it make you a better woodworker, or is it more of an interest within metallurgy.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-12-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    I've provided a few examples of my woodwork from time to time so judge accordingly.

I dont need to use a loupe, but it is a good diagnostic tool for times when you have an edge that just doesn't seem to do as it should.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pics Ken. Now I know what to keep in mind when I am out looking.

jtk

The eyes are not as good as they once were sometimes having a little help is good. For most of my day to day sharpening a quick feel and look with proper lighting will revel any imperfections but if I'm trying for my best edge the loupe comes out to play. Up to now the 10X has been good enough but with this new loupe the 30X really is nice and even the 60X has it's uses.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Thanks for the pics Ken. Now I know what to keep in mind when I am out looking.

jtk
    Jim,

After using, I went back for a second. A spare just in case. I'll try and find where they can be ordered because I do not think they are a Woodcraft stock item.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    60x is pretty nice out of a standard loop!

I've been pining for one of these;

pkuwaidosuko-pu.jpg
    I used to work in image processing and image quality, and had one of those. To be honest I wasn't terribly impressed. The optics are OK but the illumination geometry is problematic for many uses (too specular, too close to vertical, no polarization options)

If you want that sort of magnification and can afford to spend $hundreds then IMO you're better off getting a real metallurgical scope with flexible illumination options etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I am still coming to terms on how serious some of you guys take your sharpening techniques; loupes, microscopes; spread sheets. Does it make you a better woodworker, or is it more of an interest within metallurgy.
    None of the above. OCD.

I will however defend my spreadsheet once again. I've yet to find an easier way to keep track of blade setups (camber, angle).