Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Loupe

1. Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

After using, I went back for a second. A spare just in case. I'll try and find where they can be ordered because I do not think they are a Woodcraft stock item.

ken
    item or stock
    Ken, I was going to ask for a item or stock # as I could not find it on Woodcraft's web site. Ant helpful link would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    item or stock
    Ken, I was going to ask for a item or stock # as I could not find it on Woodcraft's web site. Ant helpful link would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob
    Bob,

When I posted I didn't realize that Bridger was the person that requested our Woodcraft stock the loupes. I'll bet if you PM Bridger he can help you out.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    item or stock
    Bob
    There probably isn't one.

As I've said a couple times before, individual Woodcraft stores are independent franchises, and Woodcraft gives the franchisees some latitude to stock "non-catalog" items to meet local demand. That's why my local WC carries Clifton planes, while other stores continue to carry L-N "post-breakup". That appears to have also been the case here.

On a more practical note, you can find 20X loupes for $10 or so in many places. There's nothing terribly special about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    There probably isn't one.

As I've said a couple times before, individual Woodcraft stores are independent franchises, and Woodcraft gives the franchisees some latitude to stock "non-catalog" items to meet local demand. That's why my local WC carries Clifton planes, while other stores continue to carry L-N "post-breakup". That appears to have also been the case here.

On a more practical note, you can find 20X loupes for $10 or so in many places. There's nothing terribly special about that one.
    Other than it works

5. Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bridger,

Thanks for asking Randy to carry the loupe, it is one of the most useful i've found. I agree the low power side is near perfect for edge inspection. BTW, it is good you are showing your clients how to see sharp.

What I do not understand is "testing" for sharpness, a demo of sharpness makes sense if you are trying to show someone the iron is sharp but to test all you are doing is making a sharp iron dull. If a iron looks sharp and feels sharp, it is sharp. What am I missing, what advantage does "testing" on hair or EWP bring to the table?

ken

In class I'll generally do an arm hair test as a demonstration of "about as sharp as you'll need to get a woodworking tool". for a beginner it's an easily verifiable threshold that certainly indicates a useful working edge. If you don't know what sharp is, shaving arm hair is a decent real world checkpoint.

in the shop I'll sometimes check that way, sometimes not. a quick swipe, a few cut hairs- not too much damage to the edge.