Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Devil lies in the details

Pretty awesome - I've been following this build; your work is really top-notch, Derek. Thanks for detailing it to us with such precision.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 07-11-2016 at 2:01 PM.

Fabulous effort Derek. All the early design effort and attention (worry?) to the details all the way through really made a difference! I do hope both you and your wife are pleased and will continue to be for years by a true heirloom piece.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Very well done. The difference between a fine maker who can attend to details and leave no stone unturned and an average woodworker who may be equally productive (in terms of quantity) is illustrated here.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Derek, absolutely gorgeous!

One of the many things I always admire about your work is how you combine design, stock selection and execution to produce a true heirloom quality piece that will undoubtedly be treasured for generations. For example, the blue leather you used for the jewelry trays is truly striking and the cove molding trim elegantly demonstrates a master craftsman working at the height of his powers. Lindy must be thrilled!

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share your work. Your pictures and comments do an outstanding job of clearly illustrating your design and the construction details. I always look for your posts and feel like I should be paying you for the privilege of learning from your online master class!

All the best, Mike

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and support along the way. There are no questions - my work must be perfect! .

In a few weeks we have the Perth Wood Show, which is an annual event when all the toolmakers and manufacturers display, etc. I shall be on Chris Vesper's stand - he comes to stay with us, and we put on something fun together. I shall also be demonstrating plane set up and use for Lie Neilsen on their stand. The Show is also host to the annual furniture building competition, which has some quality entries, and is jusdged by local pros. I plan to enter the chest in this competition - it is always interesting what happens then ... the feedback is helpful in bringing one down to Earth, and finding some perspective for future builds.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tell Chris that I said hello.