Thread: New Sawstop and Outfeed/Assembly Table

New Sawstop and Outfeed/Assembly Table

First the pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/ERqyc

The Saw

I am fairly new to woodworking and had a Grizzly G0715P saw that I purchased last fall. I had problems with it for 6 months before finally sending it back. It had gotten so bad that I had stopped even trying to make things for a month, and spent 4 weekends trying to align the blade only to find alignment would shift any time I raised or lowered the blade. I had read that this model had this issue a few years ago and Grizzly claimed they had corrected it, but obviously not.

I decided to go all in with a 3HP PCS Sawstop and couldn't be happier. The difference between the Grizzly and Sawstop is ridiculous (in price and quality!). The precision I am getting now is so much better and I am actually having fun cutting wood instead of feeling like I am fighting the machine.

I do not have 240v in the garage (and I am renting, so I couldn't add an outlet), but I did happen to have an unused 240v outlet in the laundry room. So I build an extension box that plugs into the outlet and runs 25 feed into the garage. The box splits the wiring so I have dual 240v outlets and dual 120v outlets.

Outfeed Table

Initially I was going to make a Paulk style bench, but since I didn't need it to be mobile, I wanted something more robust. So I stole and merged various ideas around the internet and added my own engineering into it. I like how it turned out.

I had started building the outfeed table to match the Grizzly so it is a little short compared to the 52" Sawstop.

Top surface:
    * 3/4 ply
    * 3/4 MDF
    * 3/16 hardboard
    * 1x4 poplar

The ply and MDF are screwed together in a 6x6" grid. I didn't want to glue so it could be disassembled later, if necessary. The hardboard floats inside of the poplar trim so it can easily be replaced later.

The poplar trim has an additional 3/4 ply backing so the total thickness of the ply/mdf at the table edge is 2.25". This will give me a solid surface to add clamps to later (face clamp/tail clamp).

The frame is all 3/4 ply with a 1/2 ply shelf. I used adjustable feet to level it flush with the saw.

Crosscut Sled

Not much to say here, but this one is far superior to my previous one. I followed William Ng's tutorial and the result is perfect 90 degree cuts. I chose to use MDF as the sled base for stability since I had some warpage problems on my previous plywood sled.

Let me know what you think. I am going to post a Sketchup model of the table once it is complete. This will help me learn the software and hopefully help other out with my outfeed table design.

If the true measure of person's intelligence is the amount that he agree's with you, then you, sir, must be a genius.

I did almost the exact same build/set up for my outfeed tables for my Sawstop. The only difference is that I did two smaller tables instead of one.

One problem I have had with the hardboard, however, is that it will cup as it picks up moisture. I have had to use some hot glue around the edges to hold it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    If the true measure of person's intelligence is the amount that he agree's with you, then you, sir, must be a genius.

I did almost the exact same build/set up for my outfeed tables for my Sawstop. The only difference is that I did two smaller tables instead of one.

One problem I have had with the hardboard, however, is that it will cup as it picks up moisture. I have had to use some hot glue around the edges to hold it down.
    Thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye on it.

[QUOTE=Joshua Bass;2583167] I am actually having fun cutting wood instead of feeling like I am fighting the machine.

This is what I hear time and time again (over and over again) from other SawStop owners. The safety device is a bonus, but the machine and cut quality is what makes it a success. If the saw had lousy performance with a top-notched safety device, it wouldn't sell. My output jumped as a result of using the SawStop. 99% of the cuts are dead accurate, true and square (once you tuned up the saw/fence). The other 1% is user error or carelessness.

Your new set-up looks great...that's how woodworking should be: fun.

Simon

I like the outfeed table a lot. Very nice set up.

I have a sawstop and what you have constructed is what I had in mind except that I was going construct the outfeed table with 20mm holes as is done with the Festool MFT. I too have watched the Ng video and will construct a sled in the same way. Good job! Cheers, bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I have a sawstop and what you have constructed is what I had in mind except that I was going construct the outfeed table with 20mm holes as is done with the Festool MFT. I too have watched the Ng video and will construct a sled in the same way. Good job! Cheers, bob
    I plan to add the holes later, along with face/tail vices. I just don't have a need for them yet.